I've got a loft full of sawdust

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've begun prepping our loft for boarding up, and have discovered much to my surprise a huge amount of sawdust underneath the insulation inbetween the joists. The attic is a large space, around 90m2, and is apparently full of the stuff. This seems problematic on a number of levels, so I'd like to get it out as efficiently as possible. I'm wondering if anyone else has attempted this before and has some tips on kit that might do it for me efficiently. It's a 2 storey house, at about 15m off the ground for the loft, so extraction would need to have long tubing. I regularly use a cyclonic separator with power tools using a small 1hp hoover, and am wondering if I could retrofit something a big bigger to extract into bags in the garage outside... Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
I think you might be over thinking?

I'd buy a wet/dry vacuum from Screwfix or similar and some bags.
By the time you fanny about with cyclonic dust collection and long tubes you'd have it done.
£50-75 done in a weekend or sooner

To clean my loft, I used the nilfisk aero 26-21, no longer available at screwfix, but great suction, a long hose and lead, and will also easily suck up small pieces of plaster, broken brick, nails etc of the kind you found in lofts. The cloth bags are HEPA equivalent. Plus a pto and wet vac facility and reasonably light.

Blup

Sponsored Links
Are you sure it's sawdust?
If it is, how did it get there and why?

It’s more likely to be loose fill vermiculite insulation rather than sawdust.

How fine is the dust? Is there any holes in the timbers, about 2 or 3mm diameter?

Very fine dust. And holes is a sign of woodworm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back