Ivy removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have to remove some ivy that is covering the side wall of our house. It is in a neighbours garden but they are having work done at the moment so hopefully will not mind the additional disruption.

My question is firstly how much do you think this should cost (about half a days work and they need to use a scaffold tower).

Any tips on how to kill the root?

Sponsored Links
I was giving a tip which worked for me. Spray it with a mixture of SBK and paraffin when it is dormant. You need a mask and goggles of course.

You may find that when the ivy is pulled off the wall you lose some of the pointing between the bricks as the ivy roots are quite penetrative. May be wise to test a sample area first. It may be easier to cut the stems about a foot from grond level (or they will root again) and let the ivy die and dry out. It may come off easier then.
If the roots are in a neighbours garden is it not up to them to remove it and repair any pointing damage?

Sponsored Links
cut them to the ground and kill the roots with "root out" think you can still buy this over the counter at a good garden center.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back