Jammed UPVC window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was hoping someone could give me some advice? I closed my UPVC window this afternoon, and now can't get it open again. When I push it, the left side moves but the right doesn't, so I think the lock mechanism must have broken on the right hand side.

Is there any way of fixing this withoug having to replace the whole window?

Thanks!

Rachel.

Sponsored Links
Agree, it sounds like one of the shoot bolts has come loose or broken, and is still sitting in the frame strike. It's a common problem. Best bet is to deglaze the window, and using glazing shovels prise the window away from the frame - and then manually retract the bolt. You could also drill a small hole through the window profile and do the same. Best left to someone who's done this before though-otherwise you could be looking at a new window or glazing.

Thanks, that's good news! I was really worried I'd have to replace the whole window.

Have you any idea how much that should cost? Or any recommendations on a good company to use?

Rachel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back