JG Speedfit Plastic Isolation Valve on Central Heating!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Quick question. I've had a plastic grey Speedfit isolation valve fitted on the plastic pipe feeding a radiator in my bathroom.

It was only after fitting that I realised the plastic isolation valves should not be used for central heating! But the valve is under the floor, which has already had underlay boards laid and been tanked over.

What's the worst case scenario if I leave the plastic valve in place? I really don't want to dig up the floor but am starting to panic that it might leak imminently!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
AFAIK, the plastic ones are not suitable for CH (as you say) but one of the real experts on here can advise what is best to do now.

Regards,

B

Sponsored Links
The maximum temperature is 65c
They will split and leak if used on heating they need removing

Thanks both for the replies. No, its on the ground floor. I'm starting to prepare myself for the fact I might have to pull it up...

Better now while it's under control than later because it splits and leaks all over the place. If it's under a floor then why an isolation valve at all? Just another point to fail. Just use a straight coupling.

Hi all,

! But the valve is under the floor, which has already had underlay boards laid and been tanked over.

What's the worst case scenario if I leave the plastic valve in place? I really don't want to dig up the floor but am starting to panic that it might leak imminently!

Cheers
Dig the floor - ie. concrete :cry: in that case can the pipes be run on a surface somewhere in copper or chrome even - and the offender disconnected :idea:

A few years ago we were playing "guess the ceiling" that was to come down when the next set of these POS valves that some muppet had fitted to the heating and buried.

Cost the owner thousands.

Frankly they are crap on hot and cold services anyway. On heating they are a disaster waiting to happen.

A couple of times I've fitted them to quickly fit an ISO valve, after a couple of turns, water was spraying out the hole in the middle.

:rolleyes:

Never again.

As said, why isolating valve in completely inaccessible place? What other nasties are lurking below the surface on this job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back