JG Speedfit connections

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have decided to use speedfit connections for replacing the taps and adding isolation valves in my new kitchen. It all looks amazingly easy, the only bit I can't quite grasp is whether I'd need any additional pipe or connectors between the following two items or whether they will just fit together?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/speedfit-flex-tap-connector-15mm-x-x-300mm-pack-of-2/62136

http://www.screwfix.com/p/jg-speedfit-15svp-isolating-valve-15mm/12372?_requestid=398298#

Can anyone advise?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
I would put a short length of copper pipe between the two. Cut it with a pipe cutter not a hacksaw.

What others on this forum may think of speedfit fittings though is another matter.

I am not a professional, just an experienced DIY'er.

mogget

Sponsored Links
Saves a lot of cost if you can cut down on the cost of fittings!

Push fit fittings are quicker to use but a lot more expensive ! Some of us don't seem to fine them very reliable either but that's probably as a result of careless fitting by installers! I do have to say I find it a bind to have to remember to put the inserts into plastic tube!

Often a better joint is made using brass compression fittings on plastic tube but that means the tube cannot easily be dismantled as the olive is compressed into the pipe.

Tony

The only problems I've had with pushfit fittings have been down to me not ensuring the pipe was pushed into the fitting properly.

I think compression on plastic is my least favoured joint though, I never quite trust them :) I think there is more scope for error, esp. if you aren't used to it, getting the nut cinched down just the right amount.. And I've made them, they've seemed fine and then a while later it's decided to come apart a bit and start leaking

I've had just one problem with plastic pushfit fittings in several years of usage....one coupling had no O-ring on one side and I didn't spot it when fitting!

Nowadays I always check to ensure it has all its bits before using.
Also make sure the pipe is inserted the regulation amount.
Correct pipe cutter essential too. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back