John Lewis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I phoned John Lewis today as the headphones bought for me one yr and 3 days ago were playing up and I believed that as they were Denon ones they would come with a 2 yr guarantee.

The lovely chap informed me that for health and safety reasons they were only guaranteed for 28 days! :rolleyes:

I asked him to put me through to a manager but was told that the manager would only reiterate what he had said and that there was nothing that could be done.

I reminded him of the Sales of Goods Act 1979 and told him that as a Citizens Advice Bureau adviser I knew my rights and they should take the time to read this Act. Needless to say the manager came on the line and will be replacing the goods and also refunding £36 as the headphones were now cheaper.

What a lovely man :D

Most stores rely on the fact that consumers are unaware of their rights and fob people off!

Sponsored Links
that is the fist time i have heard a criticism of j.lewis, my brother swears by them and claims they will price match

Sponsored Links
John Lewis are normally good.

I took back a DVD player once, near the end of the two year guarantee got a no quibble exchange for a newer model as the one I had bought was no longer sold.

Big contrast with the hassle of taking back a PVR to Dixons 1 month after purchase, they didn't want to exchange as it was just after 28days.

I had to stick to my guns, and wait for the manager to get a replacement.

Cheers

G

Unusual for John Lewis.

Indeed. If John Lewis had a points reward card, my wife would have enough to buy a house :eek:

We bought a kettle from there and 12 months later the handle started 'peeling'. Wrote to them and they sent a new handle.

Result :cool:

Ah, those magic words "Sale and supply of goods act".

Of the two or three times I've ever been forced to use them, only once did it not sort out the situation immediately. I received the replacement 2 days after posting my letter to their head-office, which included the time and date of the call and name of the obnoxious cow I'd been speaking to."

I know some consumers take the pee, but it's good to know that you have a leg to stand on if your new TV blows up after a year, or the wheels fall off your car.

Sponsored Links
Back