Joining 10mm cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning to replace my elec oven / gas hob with elec oven and hob requiring 10mm cable. The cabling to the present cooker is 6mm

I have an unused 10mm cable radial circuit that used to feed a shower that has now been removed. It would be good to use this for the cooker, but the cable would need extending by about 4 metres.

Is it acceptable using say a 60amp connection box to join two pieces of cable together to feed the cooker? Or should I go to the trouble and expense of totally rewiring it?

Once concern is that the existing cable is the old colour scheme, but the new bit would of course be the new colours. Is it acceptable to join old to new colours?

Sponsored Links
If its going to be accessible you can use the junction box, if not then crimp and seal with self amalgamating tape.

You can join the colours if you put a new colours sticker on the CU.

This work is notifiable to LABC.

Cost wise I'd stick with the gas hob, cheaper to run than an electric.

the new coluors to old isnt a problem, you can identify them at the joint and like arctic says you'd also need to put a sticker at the CU that states there are wiring colours to 2 versions of BS7671.

a spark would have the correct stickers and labels for the job.

is the jb going to be accsessible?

personally if its not to much hassle id do the whole run again in new 10mm. much better solution but depends how much upheavle its going to cause.

you actually wan't an electric hob?! they are slow to heat up, stay hot longer after you've finished with them and are generally less controllable than gas ones.

Sponsored Links
plugwash said:
you actually wan't an electric hob?! they are slow to heat up, stay hot longer after you've finished with them and are generally less controllable than gas ones.

Agreed, keep the gas hob.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back