Joining a DPM Sheet and Liquid DPM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have and old stone walled (600mm) mid-terraced house which has some rising damp.
I have hacked off 4ft (vertically) of the old lime plaster and found the screed was damp around the edges of the floor.
I hacked away about 50-75mm (horizontally) of the screed and found the footings of the old wall protrude in about 2" then there is a sheet DPM which has been cut with a knife to the concrete slab level so the screed was effectively bridging over the dpm leaving a path for the moisture to travel vertically to the plaster and horizontally into the floor screed.

I was thinking of applying a liquid dpm over the part of the old footings that protrude into the room but I'm not sure if the liquid dpm will 'bond' to the sheet dpm to create a continuous barrier

Has anyone else encountered this situation and tried this method or am I going about this the wrong way?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
The membrane should have been taken up the wall to at least above the screed surface/FFL.

You could lift enough of the screed to form a lapped welt join with the old membrane and a pieced-in ripping of fresh membrane.
How far back you would have to expose the existing membrane to have enough free membrane to make the welt join, would be a site call - say 300mm - 400mm?

However, if the membrane is cut short, and damp persists, all around the room, then it would require a re-think.

Anything else would be working with what you have exposed, and codging in of a length of membrane, and say, liquid bitumen to prime the sub-floor and make a bitumen sealed lap join.

Hopefully, others will come in with their, probably better, solutions.

Sponsored Links
Hi Ree, thanks for taking the time to reply.

Can't lift the screed back any more as the DPM is below the concrete slab, and I am reluctant to break that in case I damage the DPM deeper down beneath the slab. So as you say I have to work with what I've got, which isn't much.

I have contacted a DPM manufacturer today to see if they have any advice on ways of bonding a liquid dpm to a plastic one. I suppose that even if they do not form a tight bond it will still be better than what I currently have.

I will post up any information on here for the benefit of all.

Thanks again
Steve

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back