Joining kitchen worktops

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about ready to fit my kitchen worktops and was wondering if my chosen method is now such a good idea. Basically, my kitchen is quite narrow at only 1.9 metres and I have decided to do a u-shape with full width (600mm) along the run of the window where the sink and washing machine etc go. Then along the narrow part again at 600mm width to house the hob and oven. Then back along the opposite side but this time with the worktop cut to a depth of 450mm to allow a bit more space.
Anyway, I had thought about cutting both the female joints in the same piece of worktop at the bottom of the u-section. Is this the correct and accepted approach or should I go male to female then male to female up the narrow side.

Hope this explanation comes across right.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That's fine provided the cuts to not come too close to the cutout for sink etc.

That's fine provided the cuts to not come too close to the cutout for sink etc.

Actually I found that one of the cuts would have caused the connecting bolts to interfere with the hob cut-out so I ended up cutting both female joints in the same piece of worktop (left and right hand).

By the way, do you always glue the biscuits when you join the worktops together?

Also, is it mandatory to use Color Fill?

Sponsored Links
Have never used biscuits or colour fill.

Really, what do you use then?

Is it ever possible to take these joints apart without totally wrecking them, should the need arise?
If the joint has no support from cup'd I use metal jointing plates underneath to strengthen and or panel pins, cut off blunt end and tap into male board leaving 10-12mm protruding and then slowly push the boards together the pins act like the biscuits and still enough movement to line things up.A thin bead of sealant around before clamping tight the bolts.So far not had any gaps to need filler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back