Joist spacing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Our structural engineer has specified double 50 x 175mm joists at 400cc for our span of 4.5m for a small portion of the floor where the floor is unsupported from below.

The problem is that the width between the remaining single joists which either span over a block wall or are short enough in length, is 1100mm. So centres would be 370mm.

This seems really overkill, even though it probably meets building regs.

I'm trying to find some tables for double joists, or a large 100 x 175mm joist, spans and centres.

2 * double joists instead of 3 looks adequate, but obviously gives us 550mm centres.

Perhaps some tables will reveal otherwise.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi

Our structural engineer has specified double 50 x 175mm joists at 400cc for our span of 4.5m for a small portion of the floor where the floor is unsupported from below.

The problem is that the width between the remaining single joists which either span over a block wall or are short enough in length, is 1100mm. So centres would be 370mm.

Can't quite follow this - sketch plan would help.

Sponsored Links
Your 4.5m (15ft) clear span joist calculation is wrong - perhaps check Bldg Regs table?

If it works out at double 50x175 at 370 centres, it's not overkill.

Deflection of the joists will be the determining factor here and you will be at or possibly a little over the recommended limit.

(that's assuming the joists are the usual C16 grade and are in fact 50x175, and not planed down or easi-edge).

I've got it wrong or i'm confused:

The clear span of 4.5m @ 400mm centres requires a heavier section than the one posted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back