Joist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lath and plaster ceiling. I don't want to go into the (converted) loft and take up floorboards if I can help it. I do want to fit a ceiling fan.

What's the best way to find a joist?

Sponsored Links
depeding on how solid the ceiling is you may be able to hear the differnce when you are tapping on a joist

failing that a minture metal detector may find the nails and hence the joist lines

also won't you need to get power to this fan somehow?

I have done tapping on (and fishing in) dot and dab before and that worked, yes. The ceiling in question is quite thick and I am afraid of mistaking a lath for a joist if I push my spike through. I changed the position of the besa in my airing cupboard OK when I had to, but I am not an expert, just a damn good amateur: I wondered if there was a special way the professionals did it.

Good idea on the minature metal detector, thanks. I may try that, although...

There is already power there, just to a normal rose. The only thing the electrician who re-wired the house (before I lived there) did not do which I would've is put a wood noggin across the joists to support any fitting. Obviously a fan needs a strong support.

Another trick that may or may not work depending on the construction is freezer spray - the insulating properties of the ceiling are different where there is or is not a joist. Spray freezer until it ices over, and then watch it clear in stripes. Only works if there is either no insulation alongside the joist or it is very good insulation, and the joist is clearly the the better or worse thermal path.
I would say this doesn't always work, particularly if there is a draught, and is less reliable than mechanical methods like drilling behind the rose and looking with a dental mirror, but in a tight spot, especially if you have an aerosol freezer spray in the tool box already (its an old standby of most TV repairmen for shaking out faults that are intermittent) then its one to try.

Sponsored Links
look at the floorboards in the loft. ull be able to estimate where the joists are from the pattern of the nails holding the floorboards in place

I have a metal and joist detector which detects the wood rather than just the nails (edit, except I just realised the date on this thread :D)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back