Just a quick plastering repair question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy fellow DIYers. I need to ask a question about plastering my kitchen. Its kinda hard to explain so please bear with me. We moved in nearly 3 years ago and have had a long list of things to get sorted. whilst having an extension built we had to remove some wallpaper around a door way in the kitchen. Behind the paper the plaster is in a bit of a state, very grimy and has some 'chips' in. We do not have the funds to employ a proffesional plasterer at this time so i was wondering if a Polycell Plaster Repair Polyfilla (or something similar) would be okay to use as a kinda short to mid term stop gap? I would say it is approx 1.5m2 area. Does anyone have experiance of using this type of product and if it gives a good finish which is acceptable to be 'seen' on a daily basis!
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
If you’ve absolutely no confidence about using proper plaster, for an area that size you’d be better off using a one coat plaster finish. It’s absolutely dreadful stuff as far as any competent plasterer is concerned & you can have you lunch & a power nap while waiting for it to go off! But it can be laid on thick & is useful for DIY repairs; it will probably get you out of a hole until you can get it sorted properly.

Cheers Richard. But what do you mean its dreadful stuff for a competent plasterer? Would i get the eveil eye when i eventually get round to getting a pro job through out the kitchen?

Sponsored Links
Cheers Richard. But what do you mean its dreadful stuff for a competent plasterer? Would i get the eveil eye when i eventually get round to getting a pro job through out the kitchen?
No not at all & who cares! When it's dry & painted (& provided it’s been put on competently) you’d be pushed to tell the difference. It can be ideal in DIY for those with limited or no experience but to someone used to working with conventional plaster it behaves very differently & takes 10 times longer to achieve the same result!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back