just checking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I have been reading the posts on bonding and i just wanted to check that i have it right.

I have a gable end wall,inside, which i intend to plaster. I have coated it yesterday with a pva 4-1 mix and let the wall take as much as it could. I am now about to give it a second coat of pva with a 3-1 mix.

while still tacky, within 4 hours, i will apply a first coat of bonding. when this coat has set ,another 4 hours?, i can apply a second coat. then in the morning i can apply the coat of plaster.

is the above correct?

do i need to wait more than four hours between coats of bonding?

do i need to do the second coat of bonding when the first has darkened(set)

is it ok to wait overnight after second coat of bonding before i plaster?

when will it be ok to paint the final coat of plaster, a day? a week?

thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
It's always best to start and finsh any plastering job the same day if you are able. You said you coated the wall with a pva mix yesterday, and you now plan to to give it another one today. If it was me,,, whenever the coat of pva is put on the wall today,, i wouldn't wait up to/within 4 hours before putting on the first coat of bonding, if areas of pva start to dry too soon you'll have a problem. Make sure it is tacky overall, then put on the first coat of bonding.

You "don't" need to wait until the first coat of bonding has set before you put on the second one. Once the first coat has been put on, leave it to steady up, 20-30 mins ish,, depends,,, and then put on the second coat of bonding. If you leave the coated wall overnight before you put on the finishing plaster, you will have a very hard job in the morning, because of the suction on the wall. If you do go down that route,, you will need to pva over the bonding coat,, let it dry, and then pva again and skim over the wall while still tacky.

If it's a thicker coat of plaster, it's always better not to paint until it has dried out properly/completely. Most would advise a couple of weeks minimum...... Anything else to add guys?

Roughcaster.

cheers roughcaster, thank goodness i checked. just finished the 2nd coat of pva so am off to do the first coat of bonding. looks like i have a busy day ahead.

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Ok Soups,, you'll know yourself when the first coat of bonding has tightened up a bit,. Sometimes, if there's a bit of suction on a wall, you can go back, and put a second coat of bonding on right away.
I'll make the point again though,,, always check the pva is still wet/tacky before you put on the bonding coat,,, "never plaster onto dry pva". Good luck to ya. ;)

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back