Just had Building Control visit and it's bad news ...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
.... we're renovating our house and in our kitchen diner we have a pitched roof at one end approx 4m wide. I have got BC involved as we've done a number of structural changes and wanted to do the right thing and get everything done by the book.

He visited today to advise on how we should insulate this roof before it is boarded and skimmed. This insulation alone will cost us £400 to buy and get put in. Anyway - he also said that we need to have a purloin put in as the span is too wide !!.

I've had builders and window people climbing all over it with no issues at all. I'm even strengthening it by increasing the thickness of the rafters to accomodate the insulation so I'm flabbergasted as to why we need to do this. We've no money to get it done !!.

Anyway - my question is - do we have to do this ? what happens if we dont ? I didnt ask BC to control this part of the work - I'm waiting for him to call me as he told all this to my plasterers - I'm hoping it's a recommendation rather rather than an "order".

Any advice would be appreciated thanks.

Sponsored Links
It begs the question, why weren't adequate sized rafters used in the first place? Surely it would have made sense to use a deeper rafter regardless as you are now having to batten down to accommodate insulation.

Who designed the roof, were they not aware of things such as pitch, centering, span tables etc?

The fact that blokes have been on it and you are adding bits to the rafter underside is irrelevant.

Anyway - my question is - do we have to do this ?
If you want your completion certificate yes.

what happens if we don't ?
You are contravening regulations which is against the law.

I didn't ask BC to control this part of the work
Building a roof is controlled work whether you like it or not.
- I'm waiting for him to call me as he told all this to my plasterers - I'm hoping it's a recommendation rather rather than an "order".
It will be an order unless you can find another way of strengthening the roof.

100% agree with noseall.

You can't pick + choose what Building Control have to consider.

You say yourself "I have got BC involved as we've done a number of structural changes and wanted to do the right thing and get everything done by the book. ".

If that's the case get it done, he's not asking you to put a purlin in to be difficult......it's req'd for structural reasons. If you're looking for somebody to blame, who designed the roof?

The insulation is required to meet minimum requirements, the cost may be reduced by looking at alternative manufacturers (and therefore thickness's) but again you need to do it if you want the work signed off.

You say you have no money left.......... :rolleyes:

I always say to clients - if you're proposing to do any building work, get a professional to design what you require and then get the relevant permisions in place. You only then have all the relevant info to get an accurate quotation + only then decide when/if you have the £££'s in place.

Wish you all the best.

Sponsored Links
Easy tigers !!

It's an existing roof built god knows how long ago. I'm just having it insulated, boarded & skimmed.

I costed everything in advance. This is an extra that I couldnt have forseen. The same BCO was on site last week too but he didnt say anything then except to mention the insulation.

battening under a rafter doesnt increase its strength,it add to the weight.a few builders dont weigh as much as a ton or 2 of snow/ice.

a bit odd you call in the BCO for advice and then dont like what you hear????.

It's an existing roof built god knows how long ago. I'm just having it insulated, boarded & skimmed.

Existing as in long time on-going or actual existing?

If so i can't see how he has redress on the issue.

Exactly !! - just had confirmation from BCO - it was a recommendation rather than an order so thats relief.

And to others :- it's not a case of not liking what I hear it's a case of not wanting to pay out even more dosh !! - I've done very well so far with the other 4 or 5 items are that are being controlled so wind your necks in please !!. Got someone going in to give me a price anyway - if it's reasonable might have it done just for the confidence factor.

Maybe if you had included this info' at the beginning of the thread, necks would never have been wound out. :p :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back