just joined,hello.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
central heating,
water(warm\hot) returning to the small header tank, advised that the system needs cleaning. Used sentinal by dropping 2 heads of water to get it into system then topped up and running(3 days).
water still overflowing(trickling)when either system running. BUT the system does not overflow! Just rises a bit, and is definately a different colur.
Where\What is happening to the water being pumped into the header tank? Shouldnt it overflow? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Welcome!

The header tank is a feed and expansion tank. The water in the system expands back up the cold feed pipe into the tank as it warms, so the level in the tank goes up. When the system cools, it draws the water back from the tank.

If water is running from the vent pipe back into the tank ('Pumping over'), that is a sign of a system in need of some attention!

The causes include blockages (sludge) in the system,
incorrect configuration of the feed & vent pipes
and the pump speed set too high.

Pumping over aerates the water in the system, leading to more corrosion and more sludge.

i am eisily confused,but learning. Thanks 4 reply Tickly, pump was replaced 10 weeks ago, set at speed 1 (summer no heating on) never had this problem, Gas man wants to spend all day flushing out! Trying this i hope will help move the sludge proved by his Magnet.
My magnet proves something has moved, keep you informed, Thanks again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back