Karndean Flooring, gaps at edges after laying any advice?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recenlty had Karndean Knight Tile layed by a Karndean fitter in a hall and bathroom. Upon inspection there is some slight gaps at the wall and round the toilet. :(

Obviously we are not happy with this, is it a fact that it is difficult to get karndean right to the edge or is it just bad workmanship?

if it is bad work any suggestions on what can be done to correct it? is it easy to lift stuck down karndean? is there any gap typle filler that can be used? round the door facings the gaps are quiet bad it it really that difficult to cut to this shape.

As a backup if the fitter is unable to rectify the mistakes are there any fitters in the Glasgow area who thinks they could and would be willing to do it (it would probaly entail lifting and repacing 20 planks, which I have.)

thanks

iain

Sponsored Links
......have you voiced your concerns to the supplier? or fitter?

No there shouldn`t be any gaps at all, alot of your options depend upon how the job was specified. There are an awful lot of people who "cut" corners with this type of flooring. They buy of the internet and get a guy in from a shop window ad to fit it. In this case you have no guarantee or come back whatsoever

Profesional installers charge their rates because they are professionals! They also give you a guarantee! - to do a "proper job" involves most of the installation time being spent on prepation, bathrooms (you mentioned a toilet) ideally should have the loo/sink removed and floor fitted under them (then put back of course)

I am not a trained fitter, but have fitted some myself - in a square area with no cut outs it is easy and I could claim therefore to be an experienced fitter, but I have just had a very complicated area (lots of strange architraves and curves) fitted professionally (he made it look easy) - there are no gaps anywhere - mind you I am his boss!!!!!!!

Anyway "rant" over - you should contact your supplier or fitter and complain.

the fitter is coming back tomorrow where I will point our where I am unhappy, he is a recommended fitter from a local flooring store so should be good for the job. £200 pouds for 12 sqm so don't think I am doing it on the cheap as it is more important to me to get good job than save a few pounds.

thanks for the comment.

Sponsored Links
Good news then!

...I suspect he already knows why you have asked for his return ;)

sorry about the rant, but you are in the minority - just look at some of the other posts asking for help with LVT flooring.

I love this type of flooring and intend running it in as many rooms as SWMBO will allow.

By the way - do not allow him to run mastic around the edge (lazy!) make him replace the badly cut tiles

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back