Keeping block paving weed free

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just powerwashed and re-sanded my block paved drive. I am now looking at the most effective way of keeping it weed free, I always used to use Sodium Chlorate which was cheap and worked well - now that this is no longer available I wondered what suggetions there are for an effective alternative?

I would like something that can be applied in bulk from a watering can rather than some sort of spot application so any suggestions appreciated.

I did look at sealant for the paving but I am not keen on the finish it results in and have been put off by negative comments on the 'Paving Expert' website.

Given all of that does anyone know what is best as a once or twice per year deterrent to weeds?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I did look at pathclear, but the info seems to suggest that it is recommended for gravel surfaces rather than block paving, do you think that it would be effective on my application?

Regarding salt, I guess that this is very similar chemically to Sodium Chlorate - I notice that you suggest brushing it on, is that preferable to applying it in a solution of water?

Sponsored Links
I did look at pathclear, but the info seems to suggest that it is recommended for gravel surfaces rather than block paving, do you think that it would be effective on my application?

Regarding salt, I guess that this is very similar chemically to Sodium Chlorate - I notice that you suggest brushing it on, is that preferable to applying it in a solution of water?
A salt solution will be too weak and run off, brushed into the gaps it may last longer and mix with the sand, but easy to apply whenever you sweep the paving.

Pathclear is not suitable for use on block paving because of the run off into drains.

There is a product called dansand which has a pre emergant weedkiller mixed in with the kiln dried sand but i don;t know if its any good?

I don;t mean run-off from application i mean because it has a residual effect the redisual pesticide runs off in heavy rain in the weeks/months following application.

For pesticide use Block paving is classed as an impermeable surface.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back