More block paving problems ....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi ... I have a large block paved drive area that is dirty / weedy / generally not very nice ... Main problem is that we have trees over part of the drive.

Seem to have what looks like mud basically between the blocks and it provides the perfect base for a great collection of weeds ! The weeds are the main issue, have tried sodium chlorate but it soes not seem to keep them at bay for very long ....

Anyone got any ideas on how to improve the look of the drive and keep it that way, cant cut down the trees as they are in a conservation area.

Any ideas ?

Thanks

WRS

Sponsored Links
pathclear

you may need a moss killer too.

Is mud washing onto the paving from a higher point such as a flowerbed? If so you need to stop it. If not you just need to use a stiff broom from time to time.

Johnd

Thanks for reply, is the pathclear any better than the sodium chlorate ? I have used tone of is and the weeds seem to love it !

The area is quite big and so its costing me a fortune as well !

The mud I think is from the bits off the trees ( I only bought the house a year ago so have not had a long time to ' get to know it ' but we have the same issue with the trees on the patio at the back ....

Drive always seems to look messy .... can you hire a road sweeper kind of thing to give it a good scrub ?

WRS

sodium chlorate is persistent, but it is also water soluble so perhaps it is being washed away.

pathclear leaves traces of a chemical that prevents seeds germinating in the top layer (but if you disturb the surface e.g. by hoeing you break up this layer) so a single treatment can last for months.

some people use a pressure washer but this washes all the sand out of the joints between the blocks so they get loose and more weeds get in.

Sponsored Links
Johnd

Thanks again, joints are nice and full ( with mud ! ) so think that maybe the best thing I can do is to try and get this out and refill with a sand / weedkiller mix ...

Dont know really as this is going to be a persistent problem ... I see lots of drives in good condition / no weeds - how do they do it !

WRS

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back