Keys for " and @ transposed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Compaq CQ5222UK desktop running Windows 7. This week when powered up it showed 'Starting Windows' then after a while the screen just went blue. I restarted it and it booted up OK, but I had the same problem every time I used it. Eventually I noticed that the date was wrong even though I had corrected it each time, so I deduced CMOS battery needed replacing, which has done the trick and all seems well...except that since this problem, the @ and " keys are transposed.

Checking the web suggests that this is how a USA keyboard functions. If so, somehow my PC thinks I have a USA keyboard attached.

I've checked the location setting is 'United Kingdom' However, under the 'Keyboards and input languages' setting, the default input language box is completely blank, in that there are no languages to choose from. [I compared this with my wife's laptop and she has 'United Kingdom' in her 'Default Input Language' box]

I have carried out a system restore to a date before the problem started, but that hasn't resolved it.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Where there should be languages, can you click on "Add" to show a list then select them to be added to the available languages?

Thanks mattylad

There is a list of languages, but English of any variant is not among them. The list goes straight from Dutch to Estonian.

Sponsored Links
Hmm, then perhaps you need this:
http://www.speakestonian.co.uk/ :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Try googling terms such as "keyboard language missing win7" etc.

You will likely need to reinstall a bit of the OS, perhaps perform a repair.

Back