Kidneys

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just a quick :?: for you medically minded members out there.

If your kidneys aren't working to the maxs, as they should be, do they in time go back to 100% if you look after yourself.

The reason i ask is that my bro kidneys are only working 50%, and the doc said this time next year you will be on dialysis, if you don't stop smoking etc..

I think this has put the sh#ts up him so he's never had a tab since friday.
If he needs a transplant sometime in the future would my kidneys be a right match, ?

Sponsored Links
If they are damaged I don't think they recover. His GP is probably telling him to change his lifestyle so that he doesn't destroy them entirely.

From what I can gather, family members are usually good matches but I suppose it all depends on blood groups and stuff. I don't know too much about transplants and dialysis tbh. I know my mate was on dialysis for years and then had a transplant but sadly she lost her battle almost 4 years ago to something unrelated :cry:

markie said:

If your kidneys aren't working to the maxs, as they should be, do they in time go back to 100% if you look after yourself.

The reason i ask is that my bro kidneys are only working 50%, and the doc said this time next year you will be on dialysis, if you don't stop smoking etc..

If he needs a transplant sometime in the future would my kidneys be a right match, ?

well markie depending on your blood match it might be ok, i know a few people who have had kidney swaps.
are both is kidneys kapput if so what they will do is leave them inside and put another in, but he will be on a waiting list up to 3 years and will be on a machine 3 times a day and i will tell you it is a bad experiance for those close to him .
good luck tho but by saying that it means bad luck to the fellow on the motorbike or car driver who dies before is time.

Brightness said:
If they are damaged I don't think they recover. His GP is probably telling him to change his lifestyle so that he doesn't destroy them entirely.

From what I can gather, family members are usually good matches but I suppose it all depends on blood groups and stuff. I don't know too much about transplants and dialysis tbh. I know my mate was on dialysis for years and then had a transplant but sadly she lost her battle almost 4 years ago to something unrelated :cry:[/quote

Thanks brightness for the reply, last year his lower left leg swelled up and it was like putty, you could press his skin and it left a indentation where your finger had been, the doc said leaking kidneys :confused: so he's had tests and the outcome was his kidneys were failing, so they told him to loose a bit of weight and eat heathly food etc..

He went for a check up last week and his kids are still the same so hopefully with him stopping smoking as well will stem the failure, so they work enough to do the job they ment to.

I'm a bit tight with money never mind giving a kidney away, :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Have they not given him any drugs to halt or slow down the damage and protect his kidneys, Markie?

Being overweight and also having an unhealthy diet (plus smoking and drinking) will not do him any favours though.

I do wonder sometimes if some people actually realise the damage they are doing to their whole bodies by smoking/drinking/eating crap :rolleyes:

I'm far from being an angel but I don't smoke, don't drink much alcohol and try to limit my crap intake. I do have to take a fair few pain killers though and so have had to have regular checks to make sure my organs aren't being affected :rolleyes: - At least smokers and drinkers can have fun wrecking their organs hahaha - sorry, not haiving a dig there, just my warped sense of humour LOL

Brightness said:
Have they not given him any drugs to halt or slow down the damage and protect his kidneys, Markie?

Being overweight and also having an unhealthy diet (plus smoking and drinking) will not do him any favours though.

I do wonder sometimes if some people actually realise the damage they are doing to their whole bodies by smoking/drinking/eating rubbish :rolleyes:

I'm far from being an angel but I don't smoke, don't drink much alcohol and try to limit my rubbish intake. I do have to take a fair few pain killers though and so have had to have regular checks to make sure my organs aren't being affected :rolleyes: - At least smokers and drinkers can have fun wrecking their organs hahaha - sorry, not haiving a dig there, just my warped sense of humour LOL

at the end of the day some are lucky and some are lucky it all depends on if you are lucky.
what i mean by this is that if you live 20 years your lucky compared to other people ans so on the bad part of life is how you die, some die young some die old some die in pain some die without pain, but in the end even if you die like a worm wriggled in aggony , stand up strong and what ever we see we will always over come any horrors that whatever who made us will over come and this will pi..ss him off

Brightness said:

I do wonder sometimes if some people actually realise the damage they are doing to their whole bodies by smoking/drinking/eating rubbish :rolleyes:

I'm far from being an angel but I don't smoke, don't drink much alcohol and try to limit my rubbish intake. I do have to take a fair few pain killers though and so have had to have regular checks to make sure my organs aren't being affected :rolleyes: - At least smokers and drinkers can have fun wrecking their organs hahaha - sorry, not haiving a dig there, just my warped sense of humour LOL

Brightness

I think he's on tablets, regarding drinking he might drink once in a blue moon.
No offence taken btw, ;)

markie said:

He can help himself by drinking two litres of bottled non sparkling water every day and stop drinking coffee. Stop smoking. In fact I would advise only drinking bottled water rather than the stuff from your local water supply which has been through the human body many times and generally travels along contaminated water pipes,(allegedly). As with all advice from non medics check it out with the doctor first.

Markie, sorry about your bro, hope it all works out ok for him, as bob says there does seem to be alot of luck in it, some people can totally abuse their bodies and get thru life without too much going wrong whilst other's that look after themselves and stay fit can get hit bad with all sorts of stuff, its all abit of a lucky dip but if he give's up the ciggy's it gotta help and will make him feel better just stuff like being able to taste and smell again and saying 'I don't smoke' is nice. :D
anyways I hope all goes well for him.

Asked a friend of mine this one as he is a retired Surgeon. The Kidneys cannot repair themselves if they are damaged. It is only the liver that is capable of regeneration. However John explained that certain "conditions" of the kidney's that are caused by lifestyle can be overcome if the lifestyle is changed, as a result over a period of time the kidney's can recover some of the lost potential. John explained that generally this was as a result of blockages and other physical things interfering with the way the Kidney's work. The Kidneys are very good at clearing themselves, but if the cause of the blockages etc is not halted then they will deteriorate.

So the complicated answer would seem to be related to what is causing the problem..it may be possible to halt the degradation and to recover some of their efficiency..but it will depend on the cause of the problem apparently.

Sponsored Links
Back