Kingspan vs Multi-layer foil insulation

N

Nim

Morning

Can anyone offer some advice? We have moved into a cottage that's absolutely freezing. We suspected the roof wasn't insulated, so have taken down a section of ceiling to find really thin polystyrene-type insulation. We are going to replace this with something more efficient but can't decide what to use.

The problem we have is that the bedroom ceiling is open to the apex, with exposed beams, and we would like to keep these exposed. Obviously this will mean fitting insulation between the beams. What would be best to use? Kingspan (we can use up to 80mm) or one of the multi-layer foil insulations (we were thinking of this: http://www.roof-solutions.co.uk/ourshop_158894_33485.html)?

Any insulation experts out there? Please?

Thanks
Nim

Sponsored Links
Nim said:
...The problem we have is that the bedroom ceiling is open to the apex, with exposed beams, and we would like to keep these exposed...

Then you will always be cold.

All the heat will rise up to the roof.

Even if you insulate at the tiles, all the insulation will do is keep the rafters warm. The room will be cold.

Buy an electric blanket.

Hmm, I'm not sure that's true. Our last house had a similar attic that was freezing. We lined it with Kingspan and it made a massive difference. From being freezing in winter and boiling in summer, it was suddenly a sensible temperature all year round - put it this way, we didn't have to wear a coat to go upstairs anymore.

Maybe I've just answered my own question.......... :rolleyes:

Don't touch that multi layer stuff! It didn't seem to work in our extension! I'm going to replace it with the kingspan/celotex stuff in the spring.

Sponsored Links
Rubbish, Hazelb, the stuff you have used is a low grade. Good multi layer is far superior too Kingspan. keeps everything warm including the wallet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back