Kinspan and electrical cables

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, hope someone can offer a bit of advice on final circuits and kingspan. Am currently renovating a 200 year old cottage. Intend to use 100mm kingspan within wooden frame as insulation, finished with plasterboard and skimmed. Property consists of both stone walls and a 50 year old extension of single brick. As there will be a membrane between the outer walls and kingspan my only option will be to run the cables in a service void between the kinspan and plasterboard. Whichever method I use is at some time going to need to be routed through the kingspan either through the ceiling, which will also be insulated with kinspan. Appreciate that circuits will need rcd protection as wiring will be less than 50mm from the surface and that either boards or trays would be a safe bet where wiring runs through the attic space, your comments would be appreciated. cheers Barney346

Sponsored Links
As there will be a membrane between the outer walls and kingspan
Wrong place.

Who is carrying out the work, and why don't they know what they are doing?

Appreciate that circuits will need rcd protection as wiring will be less than 50mm from the surface
Do you really think that's the only reason?

your comments would be appreciated. cheers Barney346
Either become fully competent to design & install circuits (said competence to be of a level to allow you to sign EICs) or get an electrician.

Insulating stone walls can cause serious problems will moisture retention in the stone work.

Stone walls are not cold. They are a very useful thermal store that help to keep a constant temperature in the rooms. Cool in summer and warm in winter.

The single skin brick wall is different matter. They can be cool due to cooling by evaporation of water on the out side. ( wind chill effect ). In may but not all cases the insulation should be installed with a ventilated air gap between brick wall and insulation. In effect creating a cavity wall. Or have the exterior rendered or use external insulation with an air gap.

My stone cottage is 498 years old. Bare stone walls inside and no problems with heating to a comfortable temperature in winter. In summer when it is uncomfortably hot outside inside is cool.

I can only agree with the above comment made by bernardgreen, old stone cottages tend to have rather thick walls which does act as a really good barrier against heat loss. My stone cottage has no additional thermal barriers other than the internal render and is lovely and warm in the winter with minimum heating requirements and nice and cool in the winter.

With regards to single leaf brick then it would be wise to increase the thermal properties of these areas by either insulating internally or externally.

As far as cable routing is concerned, as the cable is within a thermal wall, then calculation would be required on designing these circuits as there will be de-rating factor to consider that will reduce the current carrying capacity of the cable, which tends to then increase the CSA of the cable required from that of a cable that is routed without insulation as a factor.

RCD protection of the circuit is very likely to be required whether or not the cable is less than 50mm within the wall, especially on socket circuits and circuit supplying the bath/shower room(s). There will be occasions when cable is at a greater depth than 50mm within walls that RCD protection can be excluded but this is something I suggest you do a little research on or employ a competent electrician to help you with design and installation.

Sponsored Links
On my bare stone walls I ran the cables down from the ceiling in black PVC conduit. It does not look as bad as you would think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back