Kitchen cabinet LED Strip light cut to measure. Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got kitchen with wall unit length of 2100 on one side and 1400 which we are planning to have LED strip mounted but struggling to get anything that can be cut to that length and also on the 1400mm side it will be above sink and ideally should be waterproofed.

Is there anyone that had same issue and can point me into right direction?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi,

There are a few missing details at the moment that could help us! :)
Do you want colour changing LEDs, or plain white?
Any particular controls; remotes, apps etc.

For example, there are plenty of 5m strips that can be cut to the exact lengths you need. If you can't add connecting wires between them, you could buy an extra controller/PSU.

https://www.lepro.co.uk/36w-rgb-strip-light-kit-4100070-rgb-f-uk.html

Very simple white light controlled from switch
Warm white, cool white?
Switched from a usual light switch on the wall?

If so, I would buy a 5m waterproof/outdoor reel of LEDs and two LED drivers.
Something like:

https://www.lepro.co.uk/12v-led-strip-light-waterproof-300-3528-5m-ww.html

And a couple of these?:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/aurora-12v-constant-voltage-led-driver-16w/2107T

You may also find that the strips may be excessively bright. If they are, then a simple controller can be used just to set a brightness level:

https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/SK153698.html

...and if you aren't handy at soldering, you will need some LED strip connectors.

I hope that gives you some ideas! :)

Sponsored Links
As above, buy a 5m reel of LEDs, some aluminium profile to house it, and a couple of drivers.
Eg channel & cover (you'll need two of each) plus fixings, some LED tape (I personally don't think it matters about being waterproof if it's inside some channel with a cover, but you can choose waterproof instead if you prefer), and two drivers. For the 2m length, it'll need to be 10W for 5W/m tape, for the 1.4m length it'll need to be 7W for 5W/m tape - so pick drivers with at least those ratings. The channel is in 2m lengths, so unless you join it, it'll be a littel shorter than your 2.1m cupboard.
You haven't said how the cabinets are arranged, but you can drive the whole lot with one larger driver (min 17W using 5W/m tape) if the wiring is convenient (preferably without long cable runs). But if getting the low voltage DC to both strips is awkward, then use two separate drivers.

As above, buy a 5m reel of LEDs, some aluminium profile to house it, and a couple of drivers.
Eg channel & cover (you'll need two of each) plus fixings, some LED tape (I personally don't think it matters about being waterproof if it's inside some channel with a cover, but you can choose waterproof instead if you prefer), and two drivers. For the 2m length, it'll need to be 10W for 5W/m tape, for the 1.4m length it'll need to be 7W for 5W/m tape - so pick drivers with at least those ratings. The channel is in 2m lengths, so unless you join it, it'll be a littel shorter than your 2.1m cupboard.
You haven't said how the cabinets are arranged, but you can drive the whole lot with one larger driver (min 17W using 5W/m tape) if the wiring is convenient (preferably without long cable runs). But if getting the low voltage DC to both strips is awkward, then use two separate drivers.

I thought the strip was self adhesive. Do I need a profile to house it. Want keep as flush as possible.

Yes, it's mostly self adhesive. But IMO it looks "tat" bare.
But you really do have to get the surfaces very clean or it won't stick - and stay stuck. I've seen plenty that's not stayed put - in my mates kitchen we ended up with some flat cable clips to hold the strip up (under the lower cupboards, in front of the kick boards).
Using the profile means you're starting with a clean surface, and which is easy to clean anyway. And if it does come unstuck, it can't go any further than lying on the cover - it'll show differently, but it won't be dangling down.

Lastly, are you ever likely to want to take a cupboard off the wall - you can unclip the ali extrusion ...

Yes, it's mostly self adhesive. But IMO it looks "tat" bare.
But you really do have to get the surfaces very clean or it won't stick - and stay stuck. I've seen plenty that's not stayed put - in my mates kitchen we ended up with some flat cable clips to hold the strip up (under the lower cupboards, in front of the kick boards).
Using the profile means you're starting with a clean surface, and which is easy to clean anyway. And if it does come unstuck, it can't go any further than lying on the cover - it'll show differently, but it won't be dangling down.

Lastly, are you ever likely to want to take a cupboard off the wall - you can unclip the ali extrusion ...

Back to complete my project as this was parked for a bit due of other commitments. I done a bit of search but did not find a matching size alu profile. Any idea from where we could get it. On one side need to be 2100mm lenght.

Great post

Back to complete my project as this was parked for a bit due of other commitments. I done a bit of search but did not find a matching size alu profile. Any idea from where we could get it. On one side need to be 2100mm lenght.
3 Metre profiles are available from various companies, for example here:
https://www.ultraleds.co.uk/led-profiles.html

Otherwise, I'm afraid you'll have to cut smaller profiles to size.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back