Kitchen Floor - Tiling over existing tiles and patching...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had my kitchen plastered, all the walls and the ceiling and I'm now ready to do the floor. I'd appreciate some advice before I start though:

1. I intend to tile over the existing quarry tiles - much faster and easier but are there any pitfalls to avoid? Do I have to apply any PVA to the existing tiles first?

2. There's a couple of areas which are missing the original quarry tiles and I don't want to repair the section with new tiles before recovering with the replacement tiles. I've been warned off using just self-levelling compound as there's a limit to its usable depth. Can someone suggest what I'm best using to patch it up with? I was thinking just a sharp sand cement mix. Is this right and what ratio approx?

Thanks for looking :)

Sponsored Links
Hi,
What are you laying on top of the old tiles?
I would thoroughly check the floor to make sure they are sound and that any loose tiles are removed; if the old ceramic tiles have a glazed or polished / very smooth surface then I would lift them regardless.
If the tiles are being left then they sould be cleaned and de-greased if necessary (they would definitely need de-greasing in a commercial kitchen).
I then prefer to use an acrylic screed, rather than latex screed, as I think it is more likely to bond well. Where the old tiles are missing I would prime if necessary and then infill with a heavy mix of screed with washed granite chips mixed through it...granite chips should be used for any mix from 10-20mm thick...with a typical quarry tile the thickness may be 10mm and below so the granite isn't necessary. After the heavy patching is complete apply a scrape on coat of the acrylic screed...if you hold the trowel down on the floor and use a scraping action then only a very thin coat will be applied to the surface of the tiles, while the grouteed joints will be infilled and brought up level.
Jim.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back