Kitchen Plasterboard Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We've started a kitchen makeover project, and the first step was removing the tiles from the wall, which came off easily on one wall (not shown) but then on the other two walls it took a ton of plasterboard away and decimated the plasterboard in other places (see pictures).

We know that we'll need to replace a lot of the plasterboard, which is adhered to the breeze block wall with dot and dab, however the issue that we have is with the kitchen units, where the plasterboard has crumbled near the edges and we haven't got a nice straight line of board.

We want to just tile along the same space, between the work surface and the bottom of the kitchen units.

As some of the plasterboard is crumbled, our questions are:

1. Firstly, is the remaining plasterboard strong enough to hold up the kitchen units and extractor unit? (Still standing from yesterday's demolition work)

2. Will we be able to cut away the plasterboard in this area and then just cut new board to measure, and fix onto the breezeblock wall, and then re-tile? Or will we need to remove kitchen units (top and/or bottom, including oven/cooker) and plasterboard floor to ceiling?

3. Given my limited DIY knowledge and abilities, would it just be better to get a professional round to do it? (I'm fairly certain that we'll be able to tile ourselves afterwards)

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220205_184316.jpg
    20220205_184316.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 200
  • 20220206_113231.jpg
    20220206_113231.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 187
  • 20220206_113235.jpg
    20220206_113235.jpg
    372.8 KB · Views: 185
  • 20220206_113238.jpg
    20220206_113238.jpg
    353.7 KB · Views: 182
Sponsored Links
The plasterboard is not holding up the units, they will be screwed to the wall.

Are you having a new kitchen or just replacing tiles?

Just replacing tiles. It's not our "forever home", but would like for it all to not come crashing down for the next few years.

I’d replace all the plasterboard, between worktop and wall units. On one of your images the plasterboard looks away from the wall already... it’s probably already dot ‘n’ dab’d.

Use plasterboard adhesive to bond it to the wall. Scrim tape over the joints (Normally you’d plaster next) then tile.

Failing that, neaten up What you’ve removed already, patch in new plasterboard, scrim tape and tile.

Take care going around electrics.

Sponsored Links
I am DIY and did pretty much what Mr Chibs is recommending.
Mine was Plaster on Brick in a 1930s House.
I used Plasterboard Adhesive Foam

If you can Tile, you will be fine removing and replacing Plasterboard.
Do watch the Electrics though. Kitchen Fitters don't always run Cable Straight.

Attachments

• Kitchen Wiring.jpg
    Kitchen Wiring.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Kitchen Wiring 4.jpg
    Kitchen Wiring 4.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 127
  • Kitchen 4.jpg
    Kitchen 4.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 127
That's fantastic, thanks all. Really appreciate the quick responses.

We've got a nice jaunty cooker cable running diagonally across the wall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back