Kitchen radiator very cool

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in a 4 storey town house. All of the rads get hot apart from the kitchen (ground floor)

We have a vailant condensing boiler which is newish.

All of the rads apart from 1 have TRV's.

The rad in the kitchen is a 2 panel rad - the rear panel gets warm (although far from hot) but the front panel has hardly any heat. The TRV is turned to the highest setting.

I have tried taking off the thermostatic valve and the pin seems to be free. I think the kitchen rad is the final rad in the system.

Could really do with sorting this out so any advice would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
have you tried bleeding it?dont forget to top up system pressure. also check faq for balancing system

Have checked the TRV's and am not sure they are doing anything. The ones at the top of the house are set to off but the rads are hot anyway.

Sponsored Links
check and see if the heads are loose, or take the head off and see if the internal is moving down as you close it

Have taken heads off and given pin a tap. The pins do seem to move up and down and everything tight.

On the cool kitchen rad the pipe at the lockshield valve end (which is fully open) is hot but the pipe at the TRV end is only slightly warm.

check the pin on your cool rad,on the others though look inside the trv head and see if its shutting down as you close it

On the cool rad the pin does do something as I turned TRV to off and rad went cold.

As it's a 4 storey house and heat rises we only need rads on lower 2 floors to be on - can I just close the lockshield valves on floors 3 and 4 to force hot water down to bottom 2 floors?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back