Kitchen sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just popped down some new kitchen sealant along the back. First time I've done it but now wondering if I've done it too thin. It looks neat and still drying but wondering if there's enough thickness to keep any liquid in the counter top.

Can I put another layer on top or do I need to start from scratch?

Also, is there an obvious way to see if it's sealed enough once it's dry?

Sponsored Links
Just see how it goes. Big thick ugly beads look awful and don't do a better job.

Just see how it goes. Big thick ugly beads look awful and don't do a better job.

Yes, I hate them too. The previous owners had a thick one and it really bugged me. Looking at it, I'm pleased with how it looks... there are just some parts that look a little too close. I don't want any water dripping down the backs. Apart from just looking at it, are there any ways of checking its all intact as it should be? Once dry obviously lol.

If you look at the spatula used I this video, you'll notice the different sizes of the beads. Like Joe says, thick and ugly are not exactly pleasing to the eye.

It all comes down to how your 'pushing it in'; If the two surfaces are 'connected' then it's all good. The other way would be to masking tape the two surfaces and not worry about the neat and tidy side to it, just slide a wet rag/finger along the line, as you wet as you go along.

Which silicone are you using?

Sponsored Links
As long as there a no visible gaps, and no movement in the worktop to cause the sealant to split or peel away, everything should be fine.
If you have used silicone sealant then you will have difficulty getting more, or any other type, to adhere to the top of what you have already done as it doesn't adhere well to itself. Acrylic sealants can be applied on top of themselves, although they don't have the same water/mould resistant properties as their silicone based counterparts, and also will not adhere to silicone.

If you look at the spatula used I this video, you'll notice the different sizes of the beads. Like Joe says, thick and ugly are not exactly pleasing to the eye.

It all comes down to how your 'pushing it in'; If the two surfaces are 'connected' then it's all good. The other way would be to masking tape the two surfaces and not worry about the neat and tidy side to it, just slide a wet rag/finger along the line, as you wet as you go along.

Which silicone are you using?

That tool looks interesting... I like it.
I used masking tape along the top and bottom and I had some weird shape tool that I used to go along at was angle shaped, and then I went over it with a damp soapy finger. Looking at the sizes in your video, I would say my lines look like the 4mm line. I'm just a little concerned that there isn't enough depth at the bottom to seal it properly. I might give it a prod when its dry to see if it lifts anywhere. The silicone, I can't remember the name, but says for kitchens and bathrooms on! I think maybe I should have done a little bit extra.

Can I add another layer to it or do I have to scrape away and start again?

As long as there a no visible gaps, and no movement in the worktop to cause the sealant to split or peel away, everything should be fine.
If you have used silicone sealant then you will have difficulty getting more, or any other type, to adhere to the top of what you have already done as it doesn't adhere well to itself. Acrylic sealants can be applied on top of themselves, although they don't have the same water/mould resistant properties as their silicone based counterparts, and also will not adhere to silicone.

Perfect, thank you. I will give it a closer inspection once it is fully dry to see if there are any noticeable loose bits or holes. The line is pretty tight and don't want to touch it until it's dry in case I make it worse. Thanks for answering about the sealant on sealant. I was hoping I would be able to just pipe over a thicker line, but if it doesn't stick, then will avoid doing that! It's my first try at this so I was expecting a few hiccups.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back