Frame sealant turning to milk!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I've been working my way round the house over the past few months painting and doing various repointing etc. I'm using Dulux Trade masonry for the white and Sandtex for the stone colour for cills etc. I've resealed round windows (cant remember brand) and doors etc as previous job wasn't great using a premium white exterior builders frame sealant. So far everything is as expected and worked well.

But I've had a problem at the bay window. The house is about 90 years old and has been reharled in the past and where the harl goes up to skew stones etc and the head stone on the bay window there is a 1-2mm gap, possibly shrinkage. I have painted everything white stuffing the paint into this gap. Then completed the detail coats of the pinky colour. Then finally used the frame sealant under the pink bay window head stone to stop water going down the back of the harling.

I've done this process everywhere so far no probs. But the sealant under the head stone on the bay window keeps running out. Today when I touched parts it was skinned but when pressed the skin broke and white water ran out. I had redone some parts as this happened the other week but its happened again to a slightly lesser extent.

Every time I've painted weather has been dry , ive always done recoats next day at the earliest etc so I'm not ever putting sealant over paint that isn't too dry etc. The masonry paint is dry in 30 mins anyway and sometimes I've left it days before I've done the next task.

The only variable on the bay window that differs from elsewhere is that Ive painted the top with Cromopol. An oil based roof paint. I did this to tidy it up and to seal the top of the head stone which was porous with age as its coloured concrete. Cromopol is solvent based everything else I'm using is water based.

Even though I've applied everything on good days and its dried well is it possible that there is some sort of solvent present and being washed down the wall after rain that is attacking the frame sealant? Are there solvent based frame sealants available or should I try silicone sealant.

See pics if I've attached right.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• Bay Window.jpg
    Bay Window.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 115
  • Top of Bay.jpg
    Top of Bay.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Sealant.jpg
    Sealant.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Are you sure the milk is sealant, might it be paint thats being washed by the rain, get in the back and the sealant is acting like a dam, all be it one that breaks?

I'd check for any possible areas above that might be allowing water ingress. Once happy that theres no problem try Sika EBT sealant.

Think you may have had a point. The stone work has been saturated and since I've done this outside work it's drying big time internally. I have the internal finishings stripped have done for a year trying to get round to this. Ive sealed outside with my work but it hadn't dried enough to allow the paint I'd stuffed into the gaps to dry.

Since resealed with CT1 and it's sorted. No weather getting in from outside and the inside is very dry now.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back