kitchen sink/disposer plumbing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my kitchen countertop and want to install an undermount sink which is also deeper than the current one. So I have to lower the garbage disposer. currently there is a s-trap connected to the disposer and the s-trap goes into a horizontal pipe. Can I use an L-shaped pipe between the s-trap and the horizontal pipe to lower the disposer by 3-4 inches? Would you recommend any other maximum height of the L-pipe? Any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Sponsored Links
Here in the UK the only garbage disposers I`ve come across in 35 years are broken ones that we`ve removed :( ...Not much use for them here.Sorry :(

EH? Well mine works fine thankyou very much. Sounds like the grot gobbler and the sink each have their own S trap, and then the pipe goes to a horizontal. That's absolutely fine. As long as the pipes which aren't part of the trap itself are all downhill. If you have to go UP with your L shaped pipe to the horizontal one, you'll be making another trap which is, er, not ideal!

Chris, thanks for your reply. I checked again and I was mistaken about the s-trap. Actually the horizontal pipe coming out from the wall has a p-shaped pipe from which another pipe comes and goes up a few inches to connect to the garbage disposer. what do you think is the best way to lower the disposer?

Sponsored Links
It's best if the WD and the sink have their own traps, doesn't matter which type, to reduce the amount of pipe above the water line in the trap(s). This is to reduce the smells which come up.
After the trap you'd just use whatever you need to get to the common exit.

PJ, what state are you in? The Uniform Plumbing Code does not allow S-traps. So presuming a P-trap:
when your sink is lowered the garbage disposal will lower by the same amount, hence your trap arm will find its own outlet level.
The trap arm should run into the wall and be picked up by the sanitary tee in the waste and vent pipe.
From your description you will have to open up the wall and cap the old arrangement.
Come back if the above suggestion is not feasible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back