Kitchen tap - laminar flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking to buy a new kitchen tap and have noticed in the tech specs of the tap it has a laminar flow.

I am looking for it to have minimal splashing like aerated water flow.

Will laminar flow also achieve this? What is laminar flow? Will it splash like a normal tap?

I would opt for an aerated flow mixer tap however the specific one I am buying does not come in an aerated flow version.

It's a Hans Grohe Focus with Pull Out Spray in Steel Optic

Sponsored Links
What is laminar flow?

Fluid flow is either "laminar flow" or "turbulent flow", and the Wikipedia pages for those two terms have illustrations (and lots of maths).

Whether this is what the marketing department of Hans Grohe mean when they say "laminar flow" is another matter....

Consider it to be high volume, low pressure and no aeration stream of water and I don't think you'll be far wrong!
John :)

How can it be high volume and low pressure?

I have decent water mains pressure and combination boiler.

Sponsored Links
Imagine a water pipe, allowing water to pass through at a steady full stream.....that's high volume. Increase the pressure and the water will squirt out of the pipe for a much greater distance.
So I reckon your tap will give a full flow of water, but not at such a pressure to make it squirt straight out of the bowl.
John :)

Doesn't Hans Grohe have a helpline with people who have scripts to read out explaining these things in simple language.

It does not help that our education system results in 90% of the population confusing pressure and flow rate.

Tony

When a kitchen tap manufacturer claims its product produces 'laminar flow' it sounds very much like they have been reading the latest edition of "Snake Oil"

old bath taps for example are high volume low pressure, which is why they are crap when you convert them to a combi :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back