Kitchen Unit Install Help Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Please someone help me, I have got a Wren kitchen which I am trying to install but cannot work out for the life of me how to fix to the wall.

I have attached a photo of the instructions but I do not understand it, there is a back board at the back of the unit which would be the inside back and the fixings would go behind

I totally get the L Bracket that fits to the side of the unit but have no idea how the F to screw this to a wall, if the back board was not there, easy, but it is an cannot be removed

Anyone done this before?, I have 6 of these to fix to a wall

Attachments

• 20210610_144026.png
    20210610_144026.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 217
Sponsored Links
I can't screw through the bracket to the wall though, the back of the cupboard is in the way

The only possible way I can see this working would be to remove the back panel and then put back in once attached, the problem is that these slide in and would need to have enough space above (and below for that matter) to be able to do this which there is not.

The other alternative would be to cut a hole out of the back of the unit

I must be not seeing the bigger picture here

Sponsored Links
Position the cabinet, mark the wall where the bracket goes, remove the cabinet, fix the bracket, replace the cabinet, screw the bracket to the cabinet.

Do all of the above before fitting the worktop.

it will be much easier if you screw the bracket to the unit first, then, using it as a guide, drill holes through the back big enough to put your screw and driver.

Or you could use Cabinet hanging brackets. Although I think this is a floor-stander, they will grip it to the wall enough to stop it falling over. If it is a wall unit, the adjustable hanger is what you need.

Or, if you have enough gap above the unit, fit an "L" shaped bracket to the top and screw it to the wall.

Screw the stretcher plates to the wall first - it will be easier to fix a 2 x 1 batten to the wall then fix the stretcher plate to that. Then position your unit and screw through the stretcher plates onto that - a 150 or 300mm long magnetic bit holder will be a great help. Alternatively a right angle head for the cordless will do the trick

If setting out for, say, a 500mm wide unit, your 2 x 1 batten will need to be slightly under 464mm long (500mm les 2 x end panel thicknesses = 2 x 18mm - assuming a standard 18mm carcass). That gives you plenty of scope to level the batten and get a fix into masonry or probably at least one stud. How you tackle fixing the batten does depend on the wall type

Hopefully you will see what I mean in the photo below. Although it is sideways, there are three units and according to the instructions I need to install the L brackets at the top. This would be in the top cupboard on each unit. As you can see in the middle of each unit (where the oven goes) there is a groove where the back of the cupboard is in the top and bottom behind the doors.

The bit that goes in the groove cannot be taken out which leaves me no room to screw it it, must be an easier way?

Perhaps install the L brackets in the middle?

Attachments

• 20210606_175252.png
    20210606_175252.png
    575.1 KB · Views: 176
In that case install the brackets below the top cupboard, fixex to the underside of the cupboards, behind the ovens where they can't be seen. Positioning isn"t that critical, just so long as you can hide 'em

Yes i will install these to the open bit that i can see in the middle where the appliance goes.

Wierd that the instructions are naff though. I have emailed Wren to see what they say on this

OK that one is sorted

Next issue i have is a walk in larder cupboard. I am installing the kitchen before installing the laminate flooring. All of the units are on legs so i have increased the legs by 5mm for underlay, 7mm for laminate and 5 mm for the sealing strip. The legs should be set at 150mm as this is the height of the plinth strip but i have set them at 167mm which is fine on the units.

The problem i am foreseeing here is this blimmin larder does not have feet and basically sits on the floor so i am going to have to either sit the larder on 17mm strips (not impossible) to get the right height - or i could install the laminate in that section and make sure that the cabinets that are adjacent are lowered to same level as the larder top.

Not too sure which way to jump on this one

Just for giggles, this is going to need to be secured to the wall also and i am going to get in a pickle again, in this instance though there is no open area where this can be done. I have attached the instructions which i do not understand or maybe i am missing something. Instructions appear to point to screwing a fixing from behind the back plate into the wall (about 2 inches of space). Cant see how this is possible without making a hole in the back plate

Attachments

• Capture Screw.JPG
    Capture Screw.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 270
No. it is secured in one of the previous steps, wierd huh, it is quite thick (not the hin 5mm stuff you get on some back panels)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back