Kitchen unit replacement doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i currently have MFI kitchen units built into the kitchen. They were supplied ready built and were /are absolutely fine. It was a good 15 years ago but the carcasses are good.

However they were wrapped in high gloss white finish and some has started to lift/peel.
Is this just bad luck? A known issue with wrapped gloss finish? Within life expectancy?

Ideally I would replace all the door/drawers with new fronts.
I know that hinges can vary between ready to assemble doors.
One side of the kitchen has large drawers rather than cupboards. This is to allow stuff like plates to be stored at the rear low down, yet be accessible.

So…
if I buy doors from B&Q or Howdens, how easy would it be to retro fit?
The drawers are a bit of a worry as there is a steel drawer frame/glide, high back and rods that meet the front.
This might be tricky to transfer?

what is a good finish to go for? To be honest, I would be happy to just replace like for like.

recommendations of suppliers?

I am not too shabby at diy and luckily my work has a full woodwork shop, so access to people who can measure accurately, good tools, jigs etc.

Sponsored Links
Check that your carcasses are standard size.
Then you can go for any door you like.
If hinges are not in the same place, it's easier to adapt the carcass side, even by using hinge repair kit if you don't mind the look inside your cabinets.
If doors are not standard size, diykitchens can make them to size.

There are companies that will re-wrap existing doors.

eg

The above is the first google link that I came across. I am not recommending them necessarily...

A couple of years ago I had a customer that used a wrapping company. She had in excess of 50 doors and draw fronts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back