kitchen vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just had a kitchen built in what was an old bedroom, with a big window to one side and and arch to a dining room the other, and of a window in the dining room. The kitchen installer (one of the big ones) said no mechanical vent was necessary, as the kitchen opened to the outside. The B.I. inspector says it should have had a mechanical vent with ducting to outside, minimum 60 litres per second. He won't accept using the old chimney unless ducting is fitted to the top (4 floors away!)

Who is right, and if it is the B.I. man, do I have any come back on the kitchen installer?

Sponsored Links
The BI is correct; as you’ve converted an old bedroom, it's a new installation & so must have a mechanical vent; a kitchen without one won't be much fun to use anyway. I would also go for the largest extractor you can get, although the minim will meet LABC requirements, it’s rather marginal.

a cooker hood at 30 litres / sec or extract fan at 60 litres .

Must be ducted to fresh air , hopefully you already have a suitable trickle vent in place

Sponsored Links
thank you. Actually I did put a cooker hood in but it goes up the old chimney and the B.I. man did not like that - he said it must be ducted to fresh air. I suppose there are chimney liners, but it would expensive and dfifficult to put one in now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back