Knackered pump?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I noticed yesterday that the pump was staying on even after the back boiler had turned itself off when the hot water was being heated.
The motorised valve seems to be ok and is in the Auto position.
I have a gravity fed system. Water tank in the loft. Back boiler in the chimney breast in my lounge (I live in a Maisonette) pump in a cupboard in the hallway. I can only stop the pump by switching off the Hot Water at the control switch unit. I turned on the central heating to test it and the back boiler came on briefly before turning itself off but the pump remained working.
the Central Heating did not work as a result. the pump has been noisier than usual the last few weeks.
It was replaced around 3 years ago.
The back boiler was serviced by a BG engineer back in November and was all ok.
Is it simply my pump at fault? It is a Wilo Salmson Pump, Class F, whatever that means.
Also, I tend to leave my Hot Water on the 'Constant' setting as I was told this is the most efficient way to keep my hot water heated. However, we only use the hot water about once a day just to do the washing up. Should I therefore change the setting to come on at a set time or just when required? Im thinking that the pump might be overworked you see.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Set HW just an hour before you want to use it.

Do you wash in cold water?

Cheers.
We wash in the shower which is electric of course. Washing machine is cold water fed. Shaving, some washing at the sink and washing up are all the wife and I use the Hot Water for.
Central Heating did briefly work last night on initial test but rads didn't get hot very quickly.
Recently checked CH Header Tank and adjusted ball cock but that was 2 months ago and has been working fine since then.

Pump was getting red hot to the touch last night on testing.
It's strange as the pump stays on when trying to heat the hot water but does cut out using the thermostat switch to turn on/off CH system.

Sponsored Links
How many ports does the "motorised valve" as you call it have is it two or three ? it is definately not your pump

The pump was at fault.
The engineer said straight away that it sounded knackered.
It was a Gold brand model and not too good by most standards.
Installed a Grundfos pump on speed setting two.

£238 all in wasn't too bad. I used the Rated People website to find a local company.
The engineer was bang on time, knew straight away what was at fault. Ran other checks to ensure all was well. Polite and professional service.
Bit miffed it happened but glad it got sorted quickly.

So why was the pump staying on ? a faulty pump can not stay on of its own accord

£238 all in wasn't too bad. I used the Rated People website to find a local company.
The engineer was bang on time, knew straight away what was at fault. Ran other checks to ensure all was well. Polite and professional service.
Bit miffed it happened but glad it got sorted quickly.

If I was a suspicious person, I may think this was a clever plug for Rated People.

It wasn't operating enough to pump the water around. It was literally just about moving and was getting stuck. The valves were leaking around it too. These were also replaced of course.

Sorry for the RP plug. It was not intended. I'm just pleased it was sorted quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back