Knocking pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this should be in here or the appliance section, but it concerns both so here goes. When our washing machine is filling it causes a pipe to knock somewhere as soon as the filling stops. When it fills with short bursts you get several knocks in a row as it fills and stops several times in a row.

What is the best way to trace the offending pipe so it can be secured to stop the knocking, or is there another remidy.

many thanks Paul

Sponsored Links
Start where the machine is & work back, you have a pipe that needs a fixing bracket, all you need is to find it, one day I will look for mine. :rolleyes:

Hi Paul,

I had this 'problem' too. I have a high pressure in my cold water pipes, so when the 'filling valve' shut on the washing machine, it caused this knock in the pipe due to the sudden stop in the water flow. In my case, the pipework was well fixed, but it went through a small hole in the side of the sink cupboard, and this is where it was 'knocking' - I just stuffed an old rag in this hole and that did the trick.

As for the best way of tracing the pipe, I suppose it is just a case of following the pipe/s back from the machine, giving them a little 'wobble' to see which one is loose and, as suggested by Diyisfun, put a clamp on any loose pipes.

Good luck,

Gary

Spend £15.00 on a pressure reducing valve @ PTS plumbers merchants, fit it after the stopcock on the rising main.....IF it`s easy to get at :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the replies, i had a feel of the pipes under the sink when it was filling and it was diffinately the mains pipe with the stop cock that was clanking, so i opened the stop cock another turn and that has cured it, is this because too much water was trying to get through too small a hole ??

cheers Paul

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back