Kommerling 88 Plus (88mm profile) experience / installs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Been looking at alu-clad windows for a while but budget now seems to be pushing me towards UPVC (triple-glazed) - good uw-values too on some of the profiles I have been looking at.

http://www.koemmerling.co.uk/ecomaXL/index.php?site=KOE_GB_GB_88_plus_system

I'm tempted to go for the Kommerling 88 + profile which can achieve 0.8. The rest of the house will be insulated all round with high levels of insulation, so these windows should make a difference.

Most sales folk seem to be pushing for other brands/profiles (worse uw value)...may be down to better commission etc. Anyhow....

Has anyone on here gone for the kommerling 88+ profile - any issues with functionality, durability or installation problems? Any installs in the South East that I could take a look at?

Thanks,

OB

Sponsored Links
Most company's just have a supplier/make that they like and get a good discount with as they use them all the time.
Have a look at this make too http://www.residence9.co.uk/ 100mm 9 chambered frames and they can take a proper 44mm unit.

If your going for triple glazing make sure they do a 44mm glass unit, The 36mm ones are a bit pointless really.
Bare in mind that triple glazing is a bit overkill in this country (great in colder climates and maybe Scotland) but as a general rule in the UK you wont ever really make your money back in the heating savings you make. They are also more expensive to repair and replace down the line.

I haven't personally seen or used the Kommerling 88 + but I do use their patio doors. I have found them to be reasonably priced but very good, They operate smoother than many other more expensive doors imho which is why I use them.

Most company's just have a supplier/make that they like and get a good discount with as they use them all the time.
Have a look at this make too http://www.residence9.co.uk/ 100mm 9 chambered frames and they can take a proper 44mm unit.

Yes, R9 does look good also, but the uw is a bit more on that. This is the other make that was being 'encouraged' by the sales people.
For the KBE_88 it's 44mm glass unit though I think the can squeeze in 52mm also.

I'm looking to go for passiv-haus-like stds so 3G is crucial for me with decent uw-value....i know it's going to cost more in the UK as the market is not really geared up for the green sector as much as it is in the EU, although it's really down to the actual low temps over there, rather than being green. Whereas in the UK it seems to be too many sales techniques pushing 3G at appalling uw values when many 2G units have better credentials!!! Your average pensioner will say yes to 3G over 2G just because "3G must be better than the 2G we have now - where's the cheque dear?"

Good to know you find the Kommerling patio doors good quality.

I get the feeling they haven't tested the R9 frames correctly or did it with low spec glass units. Glass units nowadays are more efficient than the frames so I cant really see how a 88mm frame can be better than a 100mm 9 chambered frame. Odd!

Anyway another make you may want to look at5 for the doors at least is Warmcore
http://www.warmcore.co.uk/
They do residential doors, French doors and bi-folding doors. 1.0 u value if thats any good to you?
They are aluminum but the prices are not too far off that of PVC

Sponsored Links
I get the feeling they haven't tested the R9 frames correctly or did it with low spec glass units. Glass units nowadays are more efficient than the frames so I cant really see how a 88mm frame can be better than a 100mm 9 chambered frame. Odd!

I think the 88mm profile has an additional insulated core inserted into the frame. It also has 3 seals as opposed to the 2 on the R9.

Thanks for the warmcore link - no decided on bi-folds. Dont think I will go for upvc as i need approx 5m and dont want to risk the 'warpability'. so warmcore could be the one with that low u-value.

We offer the kommerling 88 but have never sold one or had an enquiry for one but I suppose it is quite a speacalist product that the normal house would not need

We offer the kommerling 88 but have never sold one or had an enquiry for one but I suppose it is quite a speacalist product that the normal house would not need

God is indeed everywhere!!
Thanks - yes, the KBE_88 does seem to be a select product - shame you've had no installs as you're close to me!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back