Kyocera FS 1700 printer - pages covered in ink

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When the printer prints a page it prints what is required with nice black printing, but both sides of the paper end up with ink smudges, usually a long line where the paper has been dragged through some ink. The printed side also has random splots.

I know very little about printers, is this easy to clean? what should i look for? I have read the manual, it just mentions sliding a rod in and out. I have done this with little improvement.

Help!

Sponsored Links
You mention ink , but isnt this model a laser printer ?

Three possibilities as I see it if it is a laser printer.

1. main charging corona is on its way out

2. Large build up of toner in your machine

3. toner cart requires replacement

Is there any white on the pages that are printed or any text at all ? or are the sheets pure black ?

Hiya Box,

Yes it is a laser printer. I normally use it for printing out text on plain white paper. The smudges vary from page to page. Sometimes I print a page and its so bad I have to print anothe page, which is then almost fine. I find it strange that even the back of the page has streaks on it.

The smudges / streaks can not be smudged by my finger once printed.

Any ideas?

Is the copy cartridge nearing the end of it's life? If so, probably failed prematurely, try a new one. Have you replaced the toner cartidge recently, is it installed correctly? Try removing the copy cartridge & blowing any build up of toner from the area where the paper passes through. Can you post a pic of the defects?

Sponsored Links
OK , assuming that you have thoroughly cleaned out the printer of any/all toner then you should start at the cheapest cure , i.e replace the toner cartridge.

If the corona has failed it probably wouldnt be an economical repair as you can pick up new mono laser printers for very little these days.

The smudges / streaks can not be smudged by my finger once printed.
Thats because they have been fused to the paper.

Thanks for the help.

Firstly, I have not cleaned anything.

I am quite a technical person, but do not know my way around the printer.

What is the difference between the copy cartridge and a toner cartridge ?

I do have the manual. I can try removing one or other and 'cleaning' it if you think that will help.

I will try and post a picture tonight (after me tea!)

This particual printer has an ethernet port and I see that new FS1700 is about £300 so would be nice to fix it.

What I was really after was advice on how to clean any bits that can be cleaned..

OK , strictly by the book you should remove the toner cartridge (the one that holds all the toner) and use a static free hoover to vacuum out the internals. Using compressed air to blow out a printer with lots of toner residue isnt a particulaly smart move. You could try and remove teh excess then blow out with compressed air if you feel brave enough , but it certainly isnt something I recommend.

In reality , no 'normal' person has a static free hoover ( i used too , lol) , so if you are using a normal hoover make sure the nozzle doesnt get anywhere near any circuitry as the discharge could nuke them. Also , toner gets stuck to everything , including the insides of your hoover so be carefull.

A soft brush would probably be a good idea and empty teh dislodged residue into a bin bag.

Good luck :)

Sponsored Links
Back