lacquer for painted mdf boxes?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've made some large mdf boxes which I've primed, painted (eggshell) in a variety of colours. They slide into a large cubby holes (contain toys in the main ... sigh). The bottoms are covered in felt to make them slide more easily.

I've noticed that the painted finish scratches/marks easily when sliding - both the boxes themselves and the cubby holes and wondered if I could lacquer the boxes in any way to protect the finish.

Has anyone got a suitable suggestion of a product to use? Be as specific as you can!

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

I have the same problem with some work i have done!!
have you worked out how to do it? as i have painted a shelf in the same way but dont know what to put overthe top

http://www.designercolours.com/products/9-Polyvine/PO_AV-Polyvine_Protective_Decorators_Varnish

I've tried the above on one side as a test. Here's what I've found out:

1) It's also available in oil version - used the water-based stuff on the basis that I generally avoid oil-based products (though they're tougher).
2) Applied it with a brush - which means you can see light brush marks - not sure about roller - it seems to dissuade people from using this but not sure why. Would prefer roller application as the paint was done with this and I don't want to see brush marks.
3) Where it went on a bit thickly, you can see it - so be careful to keep it very even. Otherwise it seems to dry with a bit of a mist. As I said, I've tried it on an inconspicuous side so I'll be more careful with visible bits.

I'm going to probably do a bit more at some point today - if it stops raining! - so will update. Will probably try a roller. No doubt someone will soon be on here to tell me I've used something totally unsuitable ...

Got it from a local Leyland shop. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Totally Unsuitable * :evil: BUT ideal for the lady childminder who wants to do her walls (* not really ;) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back