Painted Art Boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm looking to start my own stall selling hand paint art on boxes.
I have many ideas in my head but have many questions i was wondering if you could help me with.

I'm planning to make the boxes simply out of MDF, mitering the components to construct the box.
The main selling point on these boxes will be the paint finish, as I will be looking to follow the trends in fashion to sell my product. Things like 'Gold Heart' on black backround. Or 'painted national flags' 'religious crosses' 'Red Rose on white.'

Or even using stencils as i have an air compressor spray gun.

A big problem I have is finding cheap bulk products such as 25mm hinges, latches, glue, sandpaper, felt and also the different paints. How can i find a merchant that will sell me cheap in bulk??

Also I'm unsure of the painting process on MDF.

I was thinking just to prime, then use acrylic paint for the art designs then sealing with a varnish or lacquer.
I noticed acrylic paint is very expensive though.
Do you have any ideas on this..?
Cause I really want the paint finish to look perfect but at a reasonable price.

Any advice you can give me would be great.

Many Thanks

Jimi

Sponsored Links
Hi I have pained MDF , be careful though as the dust is poisonous. There are purpose made MDF primers, acrylic. Process, prime , light sanding, prime, light sanding and then paint, you only need one priming but two makes for a flatter surface and better finish. Seal with suitable varnish. If painting with acrylic then an acrylic or neutral varnish otherwise it may crack. I use a sprayer to do larger furniture, emulsion makes a good paint esp. if its being sealed, you can get larger tubes of acrylic paints online. As for bulk buys for hardware then toolstation and screwfix are a good start.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back