Laminate floor threshold bars and hearth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I employed a firm to lay Balterio laminate flooring and they chose and fitted matching threshold bars and made an edging with mitred corners to finish the open edge where the laminate ends and the fireplace hearth starts.

Both of these trims are made of a cheap and nasty "cardboardy" material. They have been bashed by furniture and the vacuum cleaner and are now shabby, scratched and dented and look awful. I have two questions:

1) Can I replace the threshold bars with "normal" metal ones?

2) What can I use around the hearth that will be neater and more hardwearing than the Balterio edging strip?

Photos attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20180514_201547.jpg
    IMG_20180514_201547.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 655
  • IMG_20180514_201558.jpg
    IMG_20180514_201558.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 276
  • IMG_20180514_201617.jpg
    IMG_20180514_201617.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 257
Sponsored Links
LadyHomeLover, good evening again.

Would you have any recourse back to the firm who installed the Laminate?

There may be something in the contract small print about defective material and possibly ? ? ? workmanship ?? ?

All depends on the so called "Guarantee" period can be between 6 Months and 10 years?

With all due respect the material used around the hearth is best described as "Crap" and the joints are very poor,, not an acceptable standard on both counts.

I would go back to the original installer and argue your case.

If that fails?? suggest you may want to look for some black [or other possibly contrasting colour] "stepped" ceramic trim.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
metal strips look slightly cheap as margins to a hearth but if you google flat alu 30mm door threshold bars youl get lots of choice. but mostly in contrastin colours to your laminate

Have a look at quickstep incizo trims. Great quality. You should be able to find a colour match to the laminate

That is the exact trim that has been damaged. I just found an offcut and it was still in the packet with the name Incizo on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back