Hiding Laminate Expansion Gap Around a Marble Heart

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How to hide the expansion gap around a marble hearth?

The manufacturer of the flooring (Balterio) offer matching edging strips so I bought those with the laminate, but now have second thoughts. The edging works like a door bar in that a plastic channel is fitted to the floor & the edging clipped in. My problem is that the floor is concrete & very uneven around the hearth where it's sat on a bed of mortar. The finishing strip also has a lip on it so the channel would have to be glued in place using a "best guess" approach to positioning & I think it will be very difficult to achieve a decent finish to the edges & mitred joins. So I'm pretty much sold on using regular scotia.

Which brings me back to the original problem of how to secure the scotia to the marble hearth. I'm reluctant to use a No More Nails type of adhesive in case the scotia should become damaged in the future & need replacement. Any suggestions for an alternative adhesive that would allow removal/replacement in the future? Would a double-sided tape be an option & if so, which one?

Please bear in mind when replying that the average chimp has a greater mastery of basic tools than I do... :oops:

Sponsored Links
only type of bar/threshold i would advise is an incizo bar, which im assuming is what youve been describing from balterio
I wouldnt consider any type of glue/adhesive that can 'be removed later' as any heat from the hearth would just render the adhesion moot.
Stick with the incizo bar and you cant go wrong..
That being said, they can be a pain to cut bang on for the mitres, so take your time
measure twice, cut once!

from 20+yrs in the flooring trade

Thanks for that.

It's a similar thing but single purpose. I would be a little more confident if the profile could be lightly clipped into the runner to ensure the correct position. But it's an extremely tight fit & the piece I tried to practise with started to disintegrate due to the amount of force required to lever it out.

The problem is further compounded by the fact that the runner sides splay outwards when the profile is inserted. So as I said, you're left guestimating where the runner needs to be positioned in order to fit flush against the marble without either unsightly gaps or being too close to sit flat.

The runner is also a simple square, unlike the Incizo which appears to have a much larger area to bond to the floor.

If no-one has fitted scotia in this way & can provide a recommendation then I'm just going to have to wing it. There is no great heat around the edge of the hearth so that shouldn't be an issue.

Instead of No-more-nails to fit your scotia to the hearth, how about just regular silicon goo or if the hearth has a good straight flat side to stick to, double sided carpet tape?

Sponsored Links
+1 for a bit of silicone sealant. It may sound like a bodge, but it will be sticky enough, and can be removed if needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back