Land Drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to connect up to a land drain that runs outside my house to take water run off from my garden etc.

There is a manhole in my garden that currently connects to a soak away but the pipe between the two has been broken in numerous places and the garden is water logged as a result.

I have exposed the emd of the land drain (which was only put in 12 months ago) and there is a sandstone tile deliberately obscuring the end, presumably to stop debris flowing down the pipe.

What is the best way to connect to this drain?

I could put in a Y piece and connect my pipe directly in or I could just terminate my pipe next to it and fill the surrounding chamber with loose stone.

What is standard practice for this type of connection?

Thanks

D

Sponsored Links
Your post is a little confusing.

It seems as though you think your soakaway is not functioning and so want to illegally connect a land drain to the public sewer?

What type of chamber is it?

The soak away is definitely not functioning correctly and the side garden to my house is flooded as a result. The manhole I referred to takes surface water to the soak away at the boundary of my property. Having exposed all of the pipe work now it is obvious to me that the soakaway was never going to be adequate.

The owner of the track outside my house put in a land drain about a year ago (before we bought the house) to try and combat the problem but it has had little effect mainly because the run off water couldn't get out to the land drain easily enough.

The land drain actually runs down the track next to my boundary and discharges back onto my land (a low point in the woodland). I have permission from the land owner to get my surface water discharge pipe into this land drain.

What I need to know is how best to connect? I can connect directly into it by fitting a Y piece or I can take my pipe and discharge next to it into was in effect a soak away with a land drain pipe within it.

Thanks

D

Anyone?

Would like to try and complete this tomorrow and will need to go and buy the materials.

My current plan, unless any of you clever folk can point out a flaw, is to connect flexible unperforated land drain pipe to the clay pipe that exits the manhole. The other end will be connected via a Y coupling to the flexible land drain pipe that is already there (not sure whether this is perforated or not).

The other part of the Y will be put back as it was, i.e a sandstone tile will obscure the end presumably meant to stop debris entering the pipe. The 2 ends of the flexible pipe will be connected with a slip coupling and the connection to the clay pipe will use an adjustable rubber coupling - the type with jubilee clips on.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks

D

Sponsored Links
Sounds ok to me, but why use a 'Y' then block an unused socket off? Just use a bend....

If the existing land drain isnt the perforated type then could explain why it's not doing much to actually drain the ground..... :confused:

Only reason to use Y connector was to leave the land drain as I found as best I can.

The issue I have been having is that my drain to my soak away was inadequate and didn't link up with the new land drain.

D

Fingers crossed your efforts do as required then! ;)

Thanks.

Completed it today, what a horrible job to do. The soil is mainly clay and it was sticking to everything all day long!!

Pretty sure it is sorted now.

D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back