Landlords Electrical Requirements (Re RCD's and Fuseboxes)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi i don't know if anyone can help me but i have a question relating to my landlords obligations and my electrical supply.

I'm living in a 1st floor flat above a commercial premises owned and operated by my landlord.

My electricity bill had always been on his account and then billed to me. However he has now advised the supplier that the bill is to be changed into my name.

The supply was on economy 7 for which i have no use (No storage heaters and use most electric during the day).

My meter is currently in my landlords office meaning i have no access to it. I am aware that i can ask the supplier to move the meter, but still have some concerns over the supply.

I know that there are no RCD's at present on my supply, and that the fuse box (sited inside the property) is one of the old style fuse boxes without trip switches.

Does anyone know if there are any laws relating to the provision of an RCD where there is an old style fuse box, or if there is a law that requires the fuse box to be replaced with one incorporating trip switches?

Many thanks

Any advise gratefully received. :)

Sponsored Links
Many installations still have fuses and no RCD's, as there was no regs to say you needed them when they were installed.

Most remain until new work is required and they are then replaced as it is usually the only way to carry out the new work to conform to the new regs.

Afaik there is no reg or law, to make you change the existing fusebox to the current regs, which would most likely now require one or more RCD's.

Fuses may still be installed new in certain cases, even now, as long as the circuit permits there use.

However Afaik the landlord has a duty regarding the electrical installations safety, etc.

So would need to get the premises checked at certain intervals which should highlight any matters.

May be worth finding out more regarding Landlord certificates /duties.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/electrical_safety.htm

Many installations still have fuses and no RCD's, as there was no regs to say you needed them when they were installed.

Most remain until new work is required and they are then replaced as it is usually the only way to carry out the new work to conform to the new regs.

Afaik there is no reg or law, to make you change the existing fusebox to the current regs, which would most likely now require one or more RCD's.

Fuses may still be installed new in certain cases, even now, as long as the circuit permits there use.

However Afaik the landlord has a duty regarding the electrical installations safety, etc.

So would need to get the premises checked at certain intervals which should highlight any matters.

May be worth finding out more regarding Landlord certificates /duties.

http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/electrical_safety.htm[/QUOTE]

Thank you.

i've been looking all this up for a while did find something relating to power showers but not sure if that would of been retrospective or not ?

i've been looking all this up for a while did find something relating to power showers but not sure if that would of been retrospective or not ?

What's that got to do with anything?
Do you have a power shower.? You didnt mention it before......
Are you concerned about its safety?
SHould it have an RCD?
Has it got one?[/quote]

Sponsored Links

What's that got to do with anything?
Do you have a power shower.? You didnt mention it before......
Are you concerned about its safety?
SHould it have an RCD?
Has it got one?
[/quote]

Yes there is a power shower.

What i am concerned with is most definately safety. Especially after if was discovered recently that te whole flat had been reverse wired. That particular problem was solved immediately it was discovered, as i need to get the meter & isolation switch moved (it's in his office to which i do not have a key or the alarm code) i wanted to know what regulations he had to comply with.

I was under the impression that a landlord had to have an inspection certificate for both Gas and Electricity these days.
And by the sounds of it your flat would need the fuse board updating to comply with the current regulations. I could be wrong?

I don't know about Scotland, but in England there no requirment for an electrical inspection cert. There is for Gas. God knows why - they should do it for electrics, but no.

Have a look at the Landlordszone link above. It tells all.

The link I posted is dated Nov 07, not sure if still valid though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back