Laptop with a faulty power port

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have an old laptop with a faulty power port. After buying a replacement part, I found that I am unable to remove the one currently installed (possibly due to my soldering iron not being hot enough), despite *many* attempts and following all available advice.

I am not really looking to spend any further money on this device (due to it's age) and so am wondering if I could simply connect the new port to the solder connecting the current port to the motherboard via electrical wires. Would this work?

Many thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
yes - no - maybe

yes - if you get polarity correct and there's no damage caused by your previous attempts and there are no control lines between laptop and power unit

no - if you fail to comply with any of the above

maybe - if the gods are feeling kind

yes - no - maybe

yes - if you get polarity correct and there's no damage caused by your previous attempts and there are no control lines between laptop and power unit

no - if you fail to comply with any of the above

maybe - if the gods are feeling kind

Thank you for your reply, are you able to explain how I would be able to check the above things? My electronic knowledge is limited to basic soldering.

Thanks

Post at least 3 clear photos, one looking into the connector end, to determine if it has 2 or more connections and the others showing both sides of the circuit board where you've been attempting to remove the power pole. You will also need a multimeter - a cheap one will suffice

Sponsored Links
Is this any use? https://imgur.com/a/k80YSWk

I don't currently have an underside picture but the port still kind of works (the inner part has come off and I struggle to keep the wire at an angle where there is a connection) means that there's no damage to the board and that the above picture will suffice.

I have an old laptop with a faulty power port. After buying a replacement part, I found that I am unable to remove the one currently installed (possibly due to my soldering iron not being hot enough), despite *many* attempts and following all available advice.

Is the solder melting? You will need to add more solder and flux, to get it to flow.

Modern solder is lead free, which takes a little higher temperature to melt, than the old stuff. The usual method to remove a multi-pin component, is to first snip the pins, then heat the pad, plus pin remnant up to remove the pin, clearing the hole at the same time.

I do this kind of thing for a living.
I would nip those 4 Side Legs off. The heat from your Iron will be conducting into the metal shell

What would you suggest I could use to cut the legs? There's very little room to get under/around them.

Nail cutters, side cutters, even a cutting disk in one of those little 12v bim drills. You might even be able to break the socket open as it sits on the PCB, to free the pins using some pliers.

What would you suggest I could use to cut the legs? There's very little room to get under/around them.

Side Cutters. Ideally small ones
I have put lines where I would cut.

Attachments

• LT Port.jpg
    LT Port.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 67
Solder suckers are cheap and may help by removing the majority of the solder (of you can melt it).

Once you have cut the side legs off you can then disassemble the shell to get to the pins underneath and then desolder them while holding them with the cutters or long nosed plyers to aid removal.

Once you have cut the side legs off you can then disassemble the shell to get to the pins underneath and then desolder them while holding them with the cutters or long nosed plyers to aid removal.

Have one of those wooden, pointy cocktail sticks to hand, to poke the hole clear of solder, whilst it is still soft.

Sponsored Links
Back