larder fridge frosting up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a non frosting larder fridge which has just started to frost ice up no matter how low i set the thermostat-it is icing up on the back panel.Anybody got any thoughts about what is wrong and how can i fix it.
Mike

Sponsored Links
look at the drainage gutter and the pipe which takes water outside through the back and into a dish on top of the motor.

See that it is in place and not clogged with fungus or crumbs.

pull the fridge out and verify that the other end of the pipe is not blocked either

you may need to wash down the pipe with a kitchen cleaner and bleach if it is mouldy, and poke out any obstructions (not with a sharp metal object)

check the temperature inside the fridge with a thermometer, it should be about 5C and not freezing, and the motor should stop running when it is cold enough

verify that the door seals are clean and tight-fitting

if non off the above work defrost for a full 24hrs as there are channels and voids behind the fridge surface where the cooling element is and this can get full off ice and needs to thaw out or the problem will persist

My larder fridge is integrated. It too started to frost up with ice being up to one inch thick in a month. I nearly bought a new one. However I decided to pull it out from its place under the worktop. I cleaned off the coils that act as cooling elements located at bottom of fridge and the area they were in plus the fan that blows air over them. I used vacuum cleaner with fine nozzle and bristle pipe cleaner. There wasn't much dust considering it had been installed for 17 years! However the fridge had been playing up like this for a number of years and wasn't really getting cold enough. despite running 24 hours a day. I didn't think that cleaning the dust would make it any difference but it completely cured the problem!

Sponsored Links
My larder fridge is integrated. It too started to frost up with ice being up to one inch thick in a month. I nearly bought a new one. However I decided to pull it out from its place under the worktop. I cleaned off the coils that act as cooling elements located at bottom of fridge and the area they were in plus the fan that blows air over them. I used vacuum cleaner with fine nozzle and bristle pipe cleaner. There wasn't much dust considering it had been installed for 17 years! However the fridge had been playing up like this for a number of years and wasn't really getting cold enough. despite running 24 hours a day. I didn't think that cleaning the dust would make it any difference but it completely cured the problem!

watch this:
:)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back