Large gravel/shilly covered area - best options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All - I hope this is the right section for this couldn't find an obvious one....
we have a large courtyard/drive way serving several properties, ~ 450-500 metres square (i've not measured it accurately) currently simply covered with gravel/shillies from the local quarry. the area has a slope, I would estimate ~1:20 ?
Problem - recent wet weather has pressed the gravel in and now looks rather "muddy" as well as copious amounts of grass/weeds. I want to cover it again but simply dumping gravel will not stop the weeds, matting prior to gravelling will cause gravel to "roll away".
Any comments on cost effective alternatives - slabbing/block paving or imprinted concrete @ 60-70 £/m² is very expensive on a job this size...
even gravel containment matts add up to quite a sum....
any ideas most welcome
thanks!
Rich

Sponsored Links
If you Google 'plastic gravel grid'

You will find various companies that sell a grid that is laid on the floor which is filled with gravel. It stops gravel roll.

You would have to remove your gravel and start with a flat surface. Then you lay a membrane which stops weeds growing through and stops the gravel going into the soil making a mud bath.
Than lay the gravel grid, which comes in sections and clips together which can be cut to size.
Then you lay the gravel.

Hope this is helpful.

Andy

thanks Andy appreciate the info - whilst I was aware, this search term has pulled up a lot more options.

still looking a £5K+ though...maybe I make do with regular weedkilling spray until i can afford it...

thanks

Sponsored Links
Save your 5000 and pay your local gardener to give it a spray and a bit of a rake over over couple of months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back