Large Loft to Convert

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I wonder if anybody with experience of Loft Conversions could assist me with their thoughts on the following.

Clearly, I’m considering a loft conversion. I’ve been considering it for years, every time I go up there to get something, it really annoys me the amount of space there is, hell I could build a gigantic train set or a Scalextric or it could be used for something boring like another lounge/TV room ...... home cinema, now we're talking! Whatever its eventual use I want to get on with it now and I would like your input.

I’ve taken some measurements and made a diagram to convey my ideas.

You will see that the loft space is 8.3m (gable to gable) x 8.05m (between wall plates) so a big space. Unfortunately there are no load bearing supporting walls on the floor below. The roof utilizes a Fink trussed rafter construction, 6 x 2 timber. I’m hoping that by placing two Universal Beams and collars that the internal web of the trusses can be removed. The desirable width is 5m between the U Beams. Unfortunately you will see on the diagram that the chimney prevents placing the U beam in to the gable end. The solution is to move the position of the U beam either in front of the chimney (position A) which will reduce the width of the loft or place the U beam behind the chimney (position C), increasing the width of the loft but reducing the support to the roof rafters. However if the beams are placed behind the chimney, I guess a stud wall could be placed at the 5m point giving the required roof support.

Of course I’m assuming that the 5m point will provide sufficient support to the roof.

One further point, I'd like to keep the space open plan, I don't want a landing at the top of the stairs with a door into the loft space. Will building regs allow this?

Thanks for your help.

Ian

Sponsored Links
You would need to get an SE to look at the trusses and do a design on the steels.. also chances are you will need to beef up the ceiling joists to support the new floor so will probably lose more headroom, that combined with plasterboard/floor board/insulation often makes conversions impractical..

Hi, thanks for your response,

I will definitely get a SE involved for the steels! and the steels would have to go in in sections. See here to get the idea //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137740&start=15

The new floor would be on I-Joist (240mm) suspended below the U Beams. The bottom of the I-Joist would be 40~50mm above the plaster board ceiling, so clearly I've lost approx 300mm of room height but if the collars are 500mm below the apex then I should have a room height of 2.2m. Do you think this would cause a problem?

Ian

Hi, thanks for your response,

I will definitely get a SE involved for the steels! and the steels would have to go in in sections. See here to get the idea //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=137740&start=15

The new floor would be on I-Joist (240mm) suspended below the U Beams. The bottom of the I-Joist would be 40~50mm above the plaster board ceiling, so clearly I've lost approx 300mm of room height but if the collars are 500mm below the apex then I should have a room height of 2.2m. Do you think this would cause a problem?

Ian

dont understand why the steels were in bits when the house is detached....

surely you should crane them in through the wall... far easier and cheaper

Sponsored Links
dont understand why the steels were in bits when the house is detached....

surely you should crane them in through the wall... far easier and cheaper

I understand what your saying, can't speak for Engleberht but for me, although the house is detached, it's not feasible to come in from the sides. I guess the roof could come of and drop them in from above but that seems a big job. I think I prefer the Meccano solution, albeit big and very heavy Meccano.

Ian

well the added costs and the nuisance factor should be taken into consideration.
about four hundred pounds should see your steels in situ ready for timbers in less than an hour...
dont forget that you will have to man handle the sections through the house. not an easy task....

well the added costs and the nuisance factor should be taken into consideration.
about four hundred pounds should see your steels in situ ready for timbers in less than an hour...
dont forget that you will have to man handle the sections through the house. not an easy task....

I have considered another system, being Telebeam, an interesting system but that's it. It's either sectional U Beams or Telebeam and the U Beams with an I Joist flooring solution will come in at 25% of the Telebeam system but, as you rightly say, there's the nuisance factor!

Ian

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back