late night DIY

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know whats the latest you can do DIY until? the morons next door who moved in recently have been using the hammer drill until 11:30 for the past few days and its getting really annoying. Kids keep waking up as do I.

Sponsored Links
I don't believe there are any laws on times for doing DIY but your local council should have some information about what they would regard as a noise nuisance. Check their website and you may even find they have certain hours that they would call acceptable, although probably not legally enforceable.

Have you spoken to the new neighbours? Sometimes people don't realise how noisy they are when doing DIY and can sometimes be very amicable...but sometimes not! :(

ISTR that the law states along the lines of "that you can expect noise from your neighbours from time to time", meaning that they can do DIY from time to time quite late. (ISTR 7am-11pm). (Noise act).

There is also the antisocial acts but a quick look and it does not appear to cover occasional DIY.

However if they are doing it as a business or if is constant/over a prolonged period then you can get the environment agency involved who can set limits on when it can be done.

However, the best thing to do is to calmly talk to them, let them know that you have children who need their sleep as they have school etc and request that they cut it back to a more suitable time like 9PM. Ask how long they expect the project to e worked on for and if they can do quieter work in the late evenings?

It may be that they have had an emergency or something that means that they have to work late to get the situation suitable to live in. It may not go on for a long time but be a short term nuisance and by the time you get anyone in authority to be involved it will be over.

In a past house I had the neighbours chiselling out wall sockets and refitting floorboards until 1AM at which point I irately went round shouting the odds as I needed some sleep. It did stop shortly afterwards but they were noisy buggers anyway.

Sponsored Links
Ask them how long there expecting to do late night DIY. Drop in there that your kids aren't sleeping, and falling asleep at school are they able to restrict late noisy work to weekends. If they've got any common sense they'll see reason.

Unless it is regular, you can't do much - if it is complain to council. But neighbours ideally you want to try and get along, you have to live with them after any checks / complaints are dealt with

Definitely have a word and explain the issue. People don't always realise how far drill noise travels.

When I moved in to my house, I knew I had a load of work to do, so immediately spoke to the neighbours either side and told them, and said I would stop noisy work by 9pm.

Building works are restricted to 8-6 unless no noise is made, enforcable by local council. Noise nusiance [loud music etc] is restricted between the hours of 11 and 7 again enforcable by local council.

Foxhole, have you some legislation to back up those building times?

Because I don't believe them!

Foxhole, have you some legislation to back up those building times?

Because I don't believe them!

The Control of Pollution Act 1974 allows the council to set times during which works can be carried out and the methods of work to be used. Contractors may apply for prior approval for their works by completing a section 61 application.

The Control of Pollution Act (noise pollution in this instance) only applies to bona fide builder unfortunately, and we wouldn't have ASBO's and the like and some could settle down eh!...pinenot :)

The Control of Pollution Act (noise pollution in this instance) only applies to bona fide builder unfortunately, and we wouldn't have ASBO's and the like and some could settle down eh!...pinenot :)
Might be different in Scotland but noise control applies to everyone, my neighbours were procecuted for playing music till the early hours. Building noise is just one section of the act.

even removing wallpaper can be annoying if you are the neighbour, yet you doing it cant hear anything.

I am with the others, go and speak to them

I have been the noisy neighbour :oops:

come home from a day at work and try to get as much done as possible not realising how late it was until the neighbours hammered on the door screaming about having put up with the noise for hours
I apologised, stopped work and told them not to wait so long before knocking the door next time

Take them a bottle of wine and welcome them to the neighbourhood. You can then have a chat about what they are doing and you may find our that it'll be done in a couple of days. If it is longer term then if you explain that it is waking your children then I'm sure they will consider that.

Give them a chance to do the right thing before worrying about laws etc etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back