Lawn in need of urgent first aid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week we had to get a repair done on the septic tank soakaway which involved a digger in use in a fairly confined space.
One part of lawn has had a small digger toing and froing over it now looks ripped, brown in patches and looks more compacted.

The area over the new section of soakaway was dug up and now is just a lumpy uneven, muddy mess.

Where do I start?

I have raked over the bare soil (the lawn is on a slope) am I best adding some top soil and then using that as a base for the new lawn. Plus we’ve never been very good with growing a lawn from seed but want to try - is the slope going to add more problems?

Sponsored Links
In time, it will repair. Despite the false hope of summer we had a few weeks ago, lawns are only just waking up from their winter hibernation. From April, the lawn will be in an active stage of growth -- it will be getting warmer temperatures and more sun which is essential for growth. I spent a few years getting my lawn into something I'm proud of, but at this time of the year it is a little clumpy and suffers from a little winter die-back (evident as bare spots on the lawn).

However, simply allowing it to repair will take time. If it were me, I would slice out the damaged sections and replace with new rolls of turf. Seed is fine and also cheaper, but you'll be battling weed growth and if you're not massively keen on gardening, you may not get satisfactory results.

E9E93FE8-E1FC-4C23-8415-A201ED95EB5A.jpeg
11FE1EA6-D3C6-4641-8C4C-71060A7D58D9.jpeg
6284C20B-0D46-4869-A02B-EF938DC908ED.jpeg
In time, it will repair.
Thanks for that. I do love gardening but I’m not very knowledgeable .
I’ve added some photos.

The 1st shows where the top section was dug up and the lower section has been driven over and soil has spread. We are planning to add some fresh topsoil to the top. Presume we’re ok to just turf the top but will that look odd (the top and bottom probably won’t match up)? Is there a better solution?

The 2nd shows a section that was driven over by the digger - so fingers crossed this should recover. Is there something we should do to help it?

The 3rd will be a new section of lawn (linking the other 2) again adding topsoil and turfing.
All on a slope.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back