Lay 18mm ply over old tile floor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening everyone, i need to tile a hallway that has been tiled originally and then the tiles have been painted over with floor paint.
The tiles are pretty bumpy as well so i was going to try and lay at least an 18mm ply down and screw down into the concrete floor to hold it down and then lay new tiles on top.
Will this secure the wood enough to make sure there is no movement under the tiles as it would be a night mare trying to lift all the mosiac tiles first and because the floor is uneven i think i would need to put some floor leveling compound down and then tile.
Any advice welcome and thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
No I wasn't thinking that - usually people are reluctant to raise the floor level by so much.
You can certainly screw down ply over the tiles and it will be fine. Ideally, if you can remove the paint, you can skim over with a self levelling compound and them tile to that. I'd suggest this way was preferencial to overboarding.
Overboarding relies on multiple fixings to hold the ply in place - it's not fun making multiple fixings in concrete.

Sponsored Links
may i ask why your preference is the levelling compound?
the floor paint on the tiles would be to hard to remove so the other option is trying remove them.
If i did this and then used levelling compound what depth would i need to do and what prep would i need to do before laying the tiles?
many thanks

may i ask why your preference is the levelling compound?
Overboarding relies on multiple fixings to hold the ply in place - it's not fun making multiple fixings in concrete.
the floor paint on the tiles would be to hard to remove so the other option is trying remove them.
If i did this and then used levelling compound what depth would i need to do...
Just enough to get it flat. Some self levellers are only meant to be used for thin layers - others can be used much thicker.

....and what prep would i need to do before laying the tiles?
Read the instructions of the adhesive of your choice. Most powdered adhesives will be fine to just go straight on to the self leveller.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back